ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-discuss]

[idn-discuss] Some Questions About IDN

  • To: idn-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [idn-discuss] Some Questions About IDN
  • From: "Muhammad Farooq-i-Azam" <i80x86@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:05:15 +0500

Hello All!

I am part of this list for quite some time now. Recent mails and
traffic on this list
has prompted me re-kindle my interest in IDN. I am particulary interested to
deploy and introduce IDN in Pakistan.

I have some questions concerning IDN which I hope experts on this list
would mind
answering:

1- I have searced the web but could not confirm that IDN has been
implemented in
any widely used DNS servers like BIND. Can anyone confirm is this correct?

2- What about browsers, like Firefox or IE? Is there any support
available in these
browsers at present?

3- Now an important question for me.
Apart from the above implementations of IDNA in client and server, is there
any other requirement that a non-english language needs to fulfill to
start using
Internationalized Domain Names? In particular, I have read somewhere in the RFCs
about "Language-Specific Character Tables" which are to be developed prior to
the usage of a language for IDN. *******What are these character tables?******
My language URDU is almost completely represented in UNICODE so that
even websites with URDU unicode text are now available. Again, my question is:
Is there something else also needs to be done apart from client and server side
implementation of IDNA e.g. development of
"Language-Specific Characater Tables".
If so, what are these character tables.

Thanks in advance for any help about the above issues.

--
Muhammad Farooq-i-Azam