ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Please consider IDN gTLD Fast Track

  • To: <idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please consider IDN gTLD Fast Track
  • From: "admin" <latfr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:07:22 GMT

Forming new extensions allows ICANN to greatly expand choices and options for
customers around the world, creating healthy competition for registrars and
operators for gTLDs and ccTLDs.

The IDN aspect, however, lacks those principles of choices at the moment, as
Fast Track IDN ccTLD process creates unfair and significant competitive
disadvantage for gTLD operators.  By not allowing IDN gTLD Fast Track run in
parallel with IDN ccTLD Fast Track, ICANN is severely limiting options for
customers interested in IDN.IDN solution, as it becomes apparent that due to
lack of competition and local laws, ccTLD operators impose strict restrictions,
such as local presence requirement, local passport requirement and, probably,
high prices.

To illustrate my point, I provide you with a simple hypothetical example.

Let’s say that a small business owner in Poland sells teddy bears online to his
Russian customers.  As Russian ccTLD goes into full force early next year,
allowing public registration of Russian IDN.IDNs, the local Russian
requirements prohibit that Polish businessman from registering ccTLD IDN in
Russia, as he does not hold Russian passport.  Clearly, he is at a
disadvantage, as he does not have any options to secure Russian IDN.IDN domain.
 The only option he’ll have is to register IDN.gTLD, where gTLD is in ASCII
form.  If, however, .gTLD IDNs are available by that time, he could simply
choose to register Russian IDN.IDN through one of the gTLD operator.

Thus, I urge you to consider allowing IDN gTLD Fast Track to run in parallel
with IDN ccTLD Fast Track.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Nick Explorer.
Sent from my www.pageflakes.com startpage

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>