ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idngtld-petition]

IDN gTLD constituency dedicated to push IDNs for Indian languages

  • To: idngtld-petition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IDN gTLD constituency dedicated to push IDNs for Indian languages
  • From: Prash <prash@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:15:48 +0530

Dear Sirs,

The proposed IDN gTLD constituency probably about the only
champion able to promote the long overdue implementation of
IDN TLDs. As a reader and writer of the Indian languages,
I would like to lend my full support of this petition.

The successful implementation of IDNs will give millions of speakers
of Indian languages not just in India, but also those throughout the
world, the chance to use the Internet fully in their own native
language. The recent elections in India bear testimony to the
inability of the Internet to support e-governance and
e-elections in India for the masses who do not use the English
language. All barriers including the DNS must be removed
in order for users of the dozens of Indian languages to
be fully comfortable with the Internet as a vehicle for
their personal and economic progress. Sadly, the less
literate and those not familiar with the English language
in India, are probably the most to benefit from accessing
the Internet now, more than ever.

I believe that fully introducing top level domain names
will pave the way for website addresses in our Indian
languages and for those most comfortable only in their
language to become truly citizens of the modern world.

And with India having seen the importance of  multi-linguistics  and
vernacular/regional languages  in recent times, this would really be a
boon for development of rural India

Sincerely

Prashanth Suravajhala
CDAC, Pune, India
http://wiki.bioinformatics.org/prash

"I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding
which bringeth peace." ~~ Hellen Keller