ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[implementing-ipv4-post]

Remaining IPv4 Address Allocations - Determining Intended Use

  • To: implementing-ipv4-post@xxxxxxxxx, mailop <mailop@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Remaining IPv4 Address Allocations - Determining Intended Use
  • From: Michael Peddemors <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 06:11:50 -0700

Just want to point out that based on our research, a determination of use should start becoming more of a priority. Too much of recent allocations have been given to various forms of email marketers wanting fresh IPv4 space that has a fresh reputation. We see a lot of large ranges of IPv4 space being delegated to email marketing companies, which could be using less IPv4 space.

It has been hinted at by some hosting companies that they are actually encouraging the use of their IP space and assigning freely blocks of IPs to email marketing company, as a justification to receive more IP space.

*Suggestion*

We suggest that before assigning IP Space, the determination should be the requirement for a service which requires an addressable destination address, vs a unique source address.

If inbound traffic is required for a 'service', it should take priority.

A service used primarily for outbound can used shared IP Space usually more easily.

Michael Peddemors - President/CEO - LinuxMagic Inc.
"Servicing the ISP, Telco and Enterprise Markets since 1997"
A Wizard IT Company - For More Info http://www.linuxmagic.com
Follow us on twitter.com/linuxmagic