ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[info-tld-agreement]

Re: [ga] Responses by .biz/info/org Registry Operators are Unacceptable

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Responses by .biz/info/org Registry Operators are Unacceptable
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:21:58 -0400

George wrote: "Sheesh. How stupid
do these registry operators think that ICANN and the public are?

Given the poorly scrutinized contracts for .mobi, .cat, .tel, .asia,
.eu, etc., where differential pricing might be introduced one day, even
on a limited basis, that springs the trap on .biz/info/org holders
under the proposed new contract language."

Answering his own question and proved the registries were right in assuming
that ICANN would not stand in their way and assuming public stupidity is
something politicians and comapnies get away with all the time. Seen a tv
commercial lately? Heard a political speech? The operators are smarter than
that and would NOT have insisted on keeping that in the contract if they did
not intend on using it, especially when the public comments have already
suggested the tiered pricing was one of the reason revisions were needed.

All they did was rewrite the contract in different words to say the same
thing. If ICANN approves this, then they are in direct violation of their
mandate to get a bottom up consensus on issues. They will be seen as
completely ignoring what the public says in order to serve special
interests.

Show me ANY public consensus that is FOR the removal of price caps and
tiered pricing on domain names.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://icann.thingsthatjustpissmeoff.com