ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-proposal]

Deeper thinking, better drafting and more consultation needed!

  • To: ioc-rcrc-proposal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Deeper thinking, better drafting and more consultation needed!
  • From: Klaus Stoll <kdrstoll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 18:28:21 +0100

Affording a special status to an organization such as the Red Cross might
be justifiable given the quasi diplomatic status and important humanitarian
role of the organization. The Olympic Movement does not play an important
humanitarian role and it can be argued that it is basically controlled by
an international corporation. Both can and should not be treated equally.
It should also be considered that making an exception for the Olympic
movement will open the door and creates the precedence for thousands of
other organizations to rightfully demand the same. My own organization for
example, the Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation, (www.gkpfoundation.org),
is a global, not for profit network, active in all things related to
poverty reduction and social development. Why should we not have the same
rights? Come to think of it, my organization has even more reason to have
special status then the Olympic movement! For these reasons the current
proposal seems to be short sighted and not well thought out. It will open
the door to confusion and injustices. Deeper thinking, better drafting and
most important more consultation is needed!

Klaus Stoll

(the above comments reflect my own opinion and not necessarily that of the
GKPF or any other organization I am a stakeholder in)