ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-proposal]

No special protections

  • To: ioc-rcrc-proposal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No special protections
  • From: Andrew Allemann <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 16:46:36 -0600

I'm a bit confused as to if this comment period includes only top level
protection or if it also includes second level protection.

For top level protection, I highly doubt anyone would be dumb enough to
spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to try to apply for a domain that
infringes on the Red Cross or Olympic marks.

For the second level, I'm opposed to any "special protection" for any
applicant. I'm usually not a big believer in slippery slope arguments. But
if there's ever a case of "where do we draw the line", this is it.

Rather than deciding where you draw the line, don't do it at all. Don't
provide any special protections to individual groups. Doing so would be a
sign that ICANN doesn't fully believe in the new mechanisms of the TLD
program it has approved.

-Andrew Allemann

--

Follow domain news at DNW.com