ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ioc-rcrc-proposal]

Public Comment: Proposal to Protect International Red Cross and International Olympic Committee Names at the Top Level in New gTLDs

  • To: <ioc-rcrc-proposal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Public Comment: Proposal to Protect International Red Cross and International Olympic Committee Names at the Top Level in New gTLDs
  • From: <Patricia.DELAUNOY@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:22:09 +0000

The Legal Counsels of  International Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs)
would like to share with the community the concerns of IGOs regarding the
misuse of our names and reputations in the DNS.  We enclose a letter to ICANN
from December last year which sets out our concerns and calls on ICANN to
provide to IGOs the same consideration as was given to the International Red
Cross and the International Olympic Committee.

We are not putting in question the importance of protecting the names
associated with the International Red Cross and the International Olympic
Committee in the DNS.  However, any such special protection has to be based on
objective criteria.  If the criteria consist of the extent to which the terms
are protected internationally and nationally, then protecting only the terms
belonging to these two organizations while at the same time failing to grant
the same considerations to duly established and recognised IGOs does not, in
our view, stand up to scrutiny.  Stated simply, names and acronyms of IGOs are
protected in 180 countries.

We therefore urge ICANN, the GAC and the GNSO to continue any further
discussion based on objective criteria and verifiable information and legal
positions and to engage in a constructive dialogue with IGOs.