ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Largest expansion of trademark law in history

  • To: "'Richard Wixom'" <Richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Largest expansion of trademark law in history
  • From: Richard Wixom <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 03:02:30 -0500

While I appreciate the efforts of the IRT proposal team, it is easy to dupe
ourselves into thinking our nexus is shared by the universe -- but it is
not.  The solar system, as always, will revolve around the sun.  Meanwhile
the IRT proposal elevates registered trademarks and their power to the
absolute. While trademarks are limited to goods and service categories, may
have geographical boundaries and respect the rights of registered and
non-registered marks, these considerations are not reflected.  And expansion
of these boundaries is at the expense of free speech, property rights, due
process, etc.

Regards,

Richard Wixom