ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

A note about the proposed system of “Uniform Rapid Suspension System”

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A note about the proposed system of “Uniform Rapid Suspension System”
  • From: Nick Barrett <njbarrett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:17:15 -0400

To whom it may concern,

I am just dropping a line to protest the new ICANN proposal of the “Uniform
Rapid Suspension System”, as I feel that this could have serious impacts on
the online affiliate business and the PPC campaigns that advertise for these
businesses. Please re-consider all of the impacts to small business before
you pass this new rule.

At a bare minimum this proposal could allow bigger companies to implement a
"shoot first and ask questions later" policy when it comes to competing
websites.  Worse, it could be used by a competitor to harm other competing
websites, and impact their bottom line.

As it is now, there is a fairly low barrier (About $1,600) for the existing
dispute process for companies that truly feel that their content or rights
are being infringed on.  I think that if a company is serious about getting
a site taken down because of trademark infringement or similar issues, the
existing cost and process is actually fairly inexpensive.  But this cost
also acts as a filter to keep frivolous claims from surfacing.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

~Nick