ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Clare Speed from Reckitt Benckiser Comments in Support of RPM in the new gTLDs

  • To: <irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Clare Speed from Reckitt Benckiser Comments in Support of RPM in the new gTLDs
  • From: "Speed, Clare" <Clare.Speed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 14:35:41 +0100

> Dear Sirs
> If new gTLDs are introduced, we urge ICANN to introduce rights protection
> mechanisms of the type suggested by the IRT.  Nonetheless, we feel that the
> proposals do not go far enough in some parts and our most pressing concerns
> are below:
> 1. The IP Clearinghouse
> We would prefer the validation of our TM data to be every 2 or 3 years.  We
> are the owners of a large global TM portfolio, which changes with new
> filings, re-branding and acquisitions and sales.  Validating our TM data
> annually would be a huge task.  The proposed sanctions or penalties for
> mistakes in the data should be reasonable and take into account the fact that
> large portfolio owners would be submitting a substantial number of documents.
> We are also concerned that the IPC fee is kept to a reasonable level.
> 2. Globally Protected Mark list
> We broadly agree with the idea of the GPM list, although we believe the
> thresholds need further study.  Account must also be taken of the fact that
> some global brand owners (for many different reasons) file TM Applications in
> different countries in the name of different entities (subsidiary, holding or
> other related companies).  Further, recordal of TM assignments can, in some
> countries, take several months/years meaning that acquired brands could stand
> in the name of the previous owner for some time.  We think that it should be
> sufficient to qualify for a GPM if a brand owner can prove a relationship
> between these companies.
> 3. Top level Rights Protection Mechanisms
> We support the proposal that applied-for gTLDs should not be accepted if they
> are identical or confusingly similar to a GPM.  Our experience is that most
> infringement cases concern our brands plus a non-distinctive element (eg
> NUROFEN-PILLS, NUROFENDRUGS) or misspellings (NEUROFEN) rather than the
> identical Mark (NUROFEN).
> 4. Second level Rights Protection Mechanisms
> For the reasons above, we would prefer for applied-for second-level domains
> to be blocked if they are both identical or confusingly similar to a GPM.
>
> 5. URS
>
> We support the system.  However, we think that the proposed cost of $100-$200
> should be per complaint, rather than per domain.  If a registrant files for 3
> very similar domains (NUROFEN-pills.pharma, NUROFEN-drugs.pharma and
> NUROFEN-pain.pharma), then the proposed cost could be $600.  For a few extra
> hundred dollars, the brand owner might decide it worthwhile opting for the
> UDRP, whose Examiners would make a far more detailed assessment of the case.
> Setting a fee that is too high would lead to frustrations as brand owners are
> drawn back to the UDRP.  This would be an opportunity missed.
>
> We also think it important that the costs of the process are shared
> (complainant and registrant).
>
> 6. URS and Sanctions against abusive complaints

> [...]

NOTICE

P Please Consider the Environment before printing this Email

This email was sent from within the http://www.reccol.com/ This email (and any
attachments or hyperlinks within it) may contain information that is
confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you
are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not entitled to use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print, disseminate or rely on this email in any
way. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender
immediately by telephone or email and destroy it, and all copies of it.
We have taken steps to ensure that this email (and any attachments) are free
from computer viruses and the like. However, it is the recipient's
responsibility to ensure that it is actually virus free. Any emails that you
send to us may be monitored for the purposes of ascertaining whether the
communication complies with the law and our policies.
[a1b2c3d4e5f6]

JPEG image