ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Re: Proposed Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS)

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Proposed Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS)
  • From: SteveMorsa@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:26:22 EDT

Sirs,

As the holder of our own both US federally-registered and pending
trademarks, our firm is nonetheless in complete agreement with the statements
and
views of other like-minded, prescient domain stakeholders such as Michael
Berkins; who are understandably very concerned about the unnecessary proposal
grant unfounded, undeserved, and unearned additional rights to trademarks
holders.

Such a move would in fact be an usurpation of the rights reasonably,
legally, and in fact morally granted and held by those domains owners with the
foresight to register generic domains; even if such generic words and phrases
have been illogically granted trademarks.

This is in fact nothing more than an intellectual property and asset "land
grab" by those entities unhappy with the fact that others were first in
registering generic words and phrases domains before said entities thought to
register them for themselves.

As well demonstrated by the many UDRP cases where trademark holders were
able to relatively easily, quickly, and affordably (compared to, i.e. having
to file a court action to obtain the same relief), efficient paths already
exist to address any concerns of proper trademark holders.

We are ourselves satisfied with the rules, laws, and remedies already in
place to protect our trademark rights. Other current and future trademark
holders should be as well.

We are therefore respectfully requesting that you not enable what the
proposed URS really is: Stealing.

Thank you,

Steve Morsa
Founder/Broker