ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig]

[jig] Moving forward & restarting Biweekly call

  • To: <jig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [jig] Moving forward & restarting Biweekly call
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:03:42 +0800

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to everyone for taking their time on such an early schedule for
the face-to-face meeting at ICANN Brussels.  I think the meeting was quite
fruitful, and especial thanks to Tina for completing the briefing from the IDN
Implementation Working Team for this group on the 2 issues.  With which, we can
get started with our discussions building on the results.

As discussed in our face-to-face meeting, I think it makes sense to split out
the 2 issues and to discuss them one at a time.  Since the Single Character IDN
TLD issue seems to have better clarity, in favour of shortest processing time,
I think we can tackle that item first, and then move on to discuss the IDN TLD
Variant issue.

In terms of process going forward, I would suggest the following targets:

For Single Character IDN TLD:
- July 2010: Compile Initial Report
        - Which would contain a background of the issue
        - The stocktaking of issues of potential policy implications (and open
it for comment and addition from community)
        - Some preliminary viewpoints from the group (so that we can obtain
comment from the community)
- End of July 2010: Publish Initial Report for public comments
- August 2010: Compile Final Report based on public comments received
- September 2010: Submit report back to respective councils for consideration

For IDN TLD Variant:
- August 2010 (During the public comment period for the Single Character IDN
TLD Initial Report): Start stocktaking of policy issues, along with background
materials and definition.  Thereupon decide further on a reasonable schedule
going forward.

For Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs:
- I wonder if anyone from ICANN Staff can help provide us a briefing on the
progress/status of the program developed for ASCII gTLDs:
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/TLD-acceptance/
        - who is working on it?
        - has the program been useful?
        - what has worked and what has not worked in the past?
        - how can we improve it / add IDN TLDs to it?
        - how can we broaden the outreach for it?
        - (the last 2 may essentially be what this group would further discuss
on, but would be good to get some thoughts from staff as well if possible)

Also as discussed, will look to continue with our biweekly conference calls
starting July 6.
Jian and I will draft a document for consideration regarding the Single
Character IDN TLD issue shortly so we can get the discussions started online
and then at our July 6 meeting.

Gabi/Gisella,
Please help setup the call and send notice out.  Thanks in advance. :-)

Edmon