ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig]

[jig] Single-Character IDNs

  • To: "jig@xxxxxxxxx" <jig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [jig] Single-Character IDNs
  • From: Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:03:59 -0800

Dear JIG Members:

I am writing about progress and next steps regarding the JIG report and
recommendation regarding the plan for delegation of single-character IDNs. It
has been quite some time since your report, I know you have reconvened to
discuss other objectives identified in your charter, and are no doubt
interested in the status of your work.

The report was read carefully by ICANN staff members and, I am sure, by many
interested community members. When it first came out, we consulted with SSAC
and technically oriented members of the Board. The report clearly recommends
the delegation of single-character names but also raises other policy and
implementation questions. The SSAC offered some preliminary advice but also
conveyed the sense that a more fulsome review would be helpful.

After being reviewed on by the ccNSO and gNSO, the report was passed onto the
ICANN Board for consideration. As I am sure you are aware, the Board reached
the conclusion the the SSAC should conduct a technical review of the report and
its conclusions – also that the GAC should consider public policy issues and
ALAC should consider user experience issues.  As a result, I wrote a note to
Patrik to advise him of the board's conclusions. Patrik acknowledged the Board
conclusion and committed to SSAC attention.

The Board resolution can be found at
http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-25aug11-en.htm#5.

I expect also that the ALAC and the GAC have recognized the Board direction but
will advise Heather and Olivier directly.

As you know, the Board also concluded that the necessary work would extend past
the opening of the first new gTLD round, i.e., essentially deciding that
single-charater names would not be delegated in the first round. This
conclusion is not contradicted by the earlier Board discussion that IDN issues
and new gTLD issues should both be energetically attacked, but each should
proceed independently.

I believe the work product of the JIG has been well thought out and is
deserving of a conclusion. The extent to which you can forward other already
completed work product to the SSAC and others will probably aid in their work.
Please le me know if I can help in anyway.

I hope you found this message helpful.

Regards,

Kurt