ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[marrakech]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

ICANN discussion of maintaining WHOIS database availability

  • To: <marrakech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN discussion of maintaining WHOIS database availability
  • From: "Liam Lavery" <liam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:53:44 -0400

Dear Sirs:

I understand ICANN is debating whether to continue the public
availability of the WHOIS database, and that public officials have
weighed on this topic at the current meeting in Morocco.  As an attorney
helping to create a new Internet-based business over the last year, I
can say that the WHOIS database is essential to the (even somewhat)
efficient resolution of disputes on the Internet, as well as the (again,
somewhat) efficient operation of a marketplace for domain names.
Allowing the purchase and operation of domain names without public
registration of contact information would invite a small number of
cybersquatters, infringers, hackers, and other ill-doers to operate with
far more impunity than they even do today.

If there is a forum to which I could direct further comments, I would
like to know how to do so.

Thanks very much.

Liam Lavery

Liam Lavery

General Counsel

999 Third Avenue

Seattle, WA 98104
P (206) 470-7134
F (206) 470-7002

  <http://www.zillow.com>

GIF image

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>