ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[meeting-consultation-2008]

Meetings ICANN

  • To: meeting-consultation-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Meetings ICANN
  • From: "Rudi Daniel" <rudi.daniel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:45:03 -0400

I am generally not in agreement with this proposal for a reduction in the
number of meetings. Three meetings per year is not a great feat, and I do
believe that issues the to be discussed will increase rather than decrease
as the WWW matures; with a more diverse range of participants. Three
meetings provides three opportunities to be present and offers a more
flexible option than two.
 Approximately 20% of ICANN's budget is for 3 meetings/year. ICANN should
work towards fine tuning the efficiency of these 3 meetings per year and
maintain its public profile rather than take a step back from public
consultation by having two meetings. I think there may be some value though
in designating geographical hubs.
ICANN meetings should be more publicised *not cut back*!

The connectivity requirements for these meetings are enormous and as pointed
out many local hosts underestimate the requirements, However, this may will
become less and less so. ICANN may also look at providing financial
sponsorship to the meeting's website and registration services.
Alternatively, website and registration services should be marketed more
effectively in order to gain business sponsorship.
--
Rudi Daniel
e Business