ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[meetings-proposal-2012]

Public comments

  • To: "meetings-proposal-2012@xxxxxxxxx" <meetings-proposal-2012@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Public comments
  • From: Michelle Chaplow <michelle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 08:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

I have read with interest the meetings proposal.

I have two points to convey

1. One thing that underlines ICANN´s true global reach is the diversity of its
meeting locations and an enjoyable factor for many attendees who are presented
with an opportunity to discover another country. With travel we learn tolerance
and consideration perfect  for "One world, One Internet, everyone connected".
The diversity of the locations, set ICANN apart.

I will leave you with a quote by Mark Twain.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.

2. Secondly the down side of holding meetings in the same venue means that
local businesses and hotels will take advantage of this.

The world mobile conference
www.mobileworldcongress.com

Has been held in Barcelona for many years, its a well known fact that hotels
deliberately  inflated their prices on the basis of the mass arrival of
International visitors and the fast dollars that could be accumulated, leaving
attendees paying well over the odds for hotel nights etc etc

This became such a problem that the town hall had to intervene and speak to
business owners confronting the issue. It still happens full rack rates are
charged in many cases, but not to the extent of the initial years.

This a relevant one point that ICANN should be mindful of when meetings are
held in a repeat venue.

Michelle Chaplow

Michelle Chaplow
Travel & Luxury Hotel Photographer