ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[meetings-proposal-2012]

Meetings must continue rotating as planned

  • To: "meetings-proposal-2012@xxxxxxxxx" <meetings-proposal-2012@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Meetings must continue rotating as planned
  • From: Yoav Keren <yoav@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:01:40 +0000

I would like to comment on the proposed new meetings strategy for ICANN and
focus on the intention to limit the meetings held in Europe and Asia to 2
cities only in each continent.

I understand that ICANN's meeting team is having harder time finding the
locations that will suit the growing attendance of the ICANN meetings.

Yet, I believe that one of the most important aspects of the ICANN meetings,
being an international organization, is the fact that meetings are held in
different places, allowing each time for the local community to be exposed to
the ICANN agenda, and at the same time for the ICANN community to be exposed to
different agendas around the world.

I keep hearing in many of our discussion the word "outreach". I hear demands
for more outreach in almost every stakeholder group. The ICANN meetings being
held in different places around the world is currently the most important
outreach tool ICANN has to my opinion. I believe ICANN must continue using this
tool.

At the same time I understand the practical issues the meeting team is facing.
I do believe that the requirement for holding the meeting would automatically
decrease the number of optional venues to hold the meetings. But I believe
there are hundreds of cities around the world that have the adequate
facilities, and therefore do not see a reason to limit the meeting to 2 cities
in Europe and 2 in Asia (in addition to the rotation in North America, Latin
America and Africa).

Best regards,

Yoav Keren
GNSO council member &  CEO of Domain The Net Technologies Ltd.

viruses.