ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Section 7.2(a)

  • To: "net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx" <net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Section 7.2(a)
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 19:37:11 -0700 (PDT)

Current .net contract language stipulates that Registry Operator shall pay a
Registry-Level Transaction Fee that ICANN intends to apply to purposes
including:

(a) a special restricted fund for developing country Internet communities to
enable further participation in the ICANN mission by developing country
stakeholders;
(b) a special restricted fund to enhance and facilitate the security and
stability of the DNS; and
(c) general operating funds

Although none of us apparently know how ICANN has used these funds since 1 July
2005 (as neither budget documents nor the Dashboard have detailed either the
amounts collected or the manner in which they were dispersed), I am of the view
that neither purpose (b) nor purpose (c) are currently a suitably valid use for
the funds being collected.

While we see that the current Budget Framework already has allocated a 26%
increase in SSR funds, and that the ICANN general operating funds are most
certainly not in short supply, we do not see listed as a key deliverable funds
specifically allocated for the participation of stakeholders from developing
countries.  This is a budget area that could well benefit from additional
funding.

Accordingly, I ask the Board to consider removing from the contract those
clauses that pertain to purpose (b) and purpose (c).  As we move forward with
the goal of better enabling the developing world, we should ensure that ample
dedicated funds are in place to support such efforts.

Restricting ICANN's intended purpose for these funds to this one single goal
will send a clear message that ICANN has taken stock of the situation and will
proactively address the participatory challenge it faces.