ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

.Net Issues

  • To: <net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .Net Issues
  • From: <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:14:12 -0600

Hello Icann,

I take serious issue with your proposed changes to copyright infringement
of .net domains. Firstly, the burden of proof should be on those filing the
infringement case and not on the individual domain owner. Firstly, the fee
to file should be increased to at least $1000 to ensure that there are not
frivolous claims. Also, 14 days is not nearly long enough a window for a
domain owner to respond. This should be increased, again, the burden should
lie on the person filing, not the domain owner. I've taken two week
vacations and business trips in the past, does that mean I could come home
and have lost my domain? Also, a single person deciding these cases gives
far too much power to an individual, these are cases of a person's domain
which may be their livelihood. This should be a panel decision with a clear
appeals process. This change would be overly harmful to domain owners and
make it far too easy for someone to carelessly take down a website that may
or may not infringe on a copyright, this process should take more time and
have a higher standard of burden of proof.

Nick Inglis
nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
44 Linwood Ave
Whitinsville, MA 01588