ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

On proposed changes to the administration of ".net" domains

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: On proposed changes to the administration of ".net" domains
  • From: Philip David Morgan <konstelacio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 18:38:02 -0400

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am the creator of Promenade Digital [Mediaworks], a net video studio
currently located online at <http://promenadedigital.net>. I launched the
PD[M] website as a means of announcing the release of new videos in the *Just
One Story...* series - which itself was created to showcase the work of
storytellers including Diane Wolkstein, Dianne R. Carr, and Jeslyn Wheeless,
among others. I also produce short publicity videos on Mme. Wolkstein's
behalf and serve as her webmaster.

Recently, I learned online of the Intellectual Property Consortium's wishes
to abolish "privacy-shielded" and "anonymous" domains with ".net" [dot-net]
as the suffix of their domain names, as well as their insistence that
VeriSign essentially become the judge and jury of copyright violation cases
involving ".net" domains.

I am specifically referencing the comments that were filed at this address:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/net-agreement-renewal/pdfTeYfTqqAOg.pdf

I wish to make it abundantly clear that, for starters, it is not the right
of the IPC to demand that VeriSign essentially start playing "copyright
cop." That is not their reason for being in business in the first place.

Second, as a media producer myself, I do all I can in my power to ensure
that the video works I do produce are made with the full knowledge,
participation, and support of the storytellers. I have especially been
blessed to have the full participation and support of Diane Wolkstein, who
has steadfastly encouraged the production of the *Just One Story...* series.
It would never have happened had Mme. Wolkstein not said "yes" to the idea
in the first place.

As a means of protection for the tellers who appear in the series, every
episode in the series has been released under a Creative Commons
Attribution/Non-Commercial/No Derivative Works 3.0 license. It is meant
above all else to ensure that the storytellers are still able and allowed to
earn a living from their art while ensuring that audiences online can freely
access their work.

All of that is now in jeopardy because of the wishes expressed by the IPC.

I have no idea if my web hosting provider, Fat Cow, would be able to provide
for a change to my domain name (from ".net" to, say ".us" or something
equally appealing) - or if I would to tear everything down and start anew
with a new name for the net studio (and a new domain name that will not
upset the IPC's sensibilities).

Such actions would create a climate that prohibits others from exploring
their own talents and thereby enriching popular culture as they see fit. And
it is a threat I take seriously.

I ask you respectfully to please disregard all of the IPC's comments on this
matter.

Thank you,

Philip David Morgan
http://promenadedigital.net/