ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Concerning the IPC's Demands For .NET Domains

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Concerning the IPC's Demands For .NET Domains
  • From: Kirsten Miller <omgfloofy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:40:29 -0500

To Whom It May Concern,
My name is Kirsten Miller. I am the account holder for domain esterior.net,
amongst several others. This website is a video game news website that acts
in good faith with multiple video game publishers and developers in order to
help spread the word of their works in English. (Many of them are Japanese
only.)

I do understand the need to protect intellectual property and the battle to
fight piracy on the internet. However, domain name seizure is not the way to
do it. This is because of the nature of these sites. The domain being seized
does not remove the site from the internet and it is still accessible
through the IP. This is not an entirely accurate way of handling the issue,
either, as this has caused the accidental seizure of 80,000 websites in
error, as well.
I firmly believe that the way that these things should be handled is through
the host and the site administrator. This way, the material is removed from
the internet completely with the right methods. Perhaps, even go as far as
to make it so that hosts can be held accountable in areas of rampant piracy
on their domains. This will begin to cut down a large number of servers,
leaving only those that are privately hosted.

Concerning the privacy feature of the domain registration-
I am a private homeowner. I do not do this website, or any of my others, as
a business. The address that is listed with my domain is my home address and
my cell phone number. They are marked private and set so that the registrar
can call me directly if there is any problem with my website or anything
reported to him.
Considering the issues with privacy violations on the internet, spam, and
other situations involving identity theft... I am deeply concerned that IPC
wants my personal information to be publically available for anyone to see.
This is not just my name and email address. This is my physical address and
my telephone number.
This is a major issue with privacy and while the above worries me, this is
significantly worse, in my view. In the past, it wasn't a problem, but the
registrars have found ways to help during an age when it has most certainly
become an issue.
Please take my voice in as one of many, I'm sure, that are crying out
against the IPC's request for you. There are many, significantly better,
ways of handling the issues. This is hardly one of them.
Thanks,
Kirsten Miller