ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

.NET Agreement Renewal Comment

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .NET Agreement Renewal Comment
  • From: Eli <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 19:58:05 -0700

To whom it may concern:

I am the co-owner of NinjaPhoto.net, owned by Peacekeeper Enterprises, LLC, on whose behalf I write today. I am writing to express Peacekeeper Enterprises' objections to the comments filed by the Intellectual Property Constituency, available here:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/net-agreement-renewal/pdfTeYfTqqAOg.pdf

Site operators accused of copyright infringement should be sued in the appropriate courts, which can issue injunctions during or after the proceeding, on the basis of evidence. It is not appropriate to ask Dotster to adjudicate technically complex copyright claims. The outcome will be similar to what we've seen already: overreaching claims, seizures of legitimate sites, and a shoot-first, ask-questions-later approach characteristic of the IPC's members.

Many domain registrants are private individuals lacking an alternative address from their home address for use in domain registration. Compelling registrars to publish their customers' home addresses is a privacy disaster in the making. Why should everyone else be required to subsidize the cost of IPC's members legal fees by not requiring them to get a proper court order? The IPC's attack on the privacy rights for .NET domains is just a stepping stone to attacking the rights of .COM domain holders.

For these reasons, we ask that you disregard the comments of the IPC in their entirety.

Thank you,
Eli Mapstead
Peacekeeper Enterprises, LLC.
2600 L Street