ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Comment on the .NET renewal & Uniform Rapid Suspension

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on the .NET renewal & Uniform Rapid Suspension
  • From: Kevin Staggers <staggers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 23:05:03 -0400

As a long-time .net domain owner, I am writing to provide input on the
.net renewal negotiations and the push by some parties to include the
Uniform Rapid Suspension process as part of that negotiation.  Simply
put, this would be an absolute disaster for all .net domain holders.
The URS process simply will be abused by those who wish to take
domains away from legitimate businesses that they disagree with, or
from existing businesses that have have been using a domain for years
(or in another country) but who did not trademark their domain (or
face a trademark holder in another country wanting the existing
domain).

I personally read the news about URS with dismay.  My business has
been built on .net, I do not own the .com domain for my business (and
it's not actually in use).  To face the possibility of my domain being
taken away like this is beyond scary.  I would be forced to seriously
look into moving to a different TLD if this change goes into effect,
simply because I can't risk my business to the whims of a fast-tracked
process weighted in favor of those with the most money.

The existing UDRP works just fine for trademark disputes.  The process
make not be fast enough for some people, but due process, and insuring
mistakes don't happen _takes time_.  Those pushing for the URS do not
care about due process (for anyone except themselves), nor do they
care about mistakes.  They insist that mistakes don't happen, while
history has proven time and time again that this is untrue.

I urge you to not allow the URS to be implemented for .net.  Doing so
will destroy the .net domain as useful for small businesses.

--
-Kevin                               http://public.xdi.org/=staggers