ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

Sentan Whois display

  • To: <net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Sentan Whois display
  • From: "Tindal, Richard" <richard.tindal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:08:26 -0500

This is in response to the comments raised by ASCAP and AIPLA with regards to
free and full access to Whois information.   We believe the writers have
misinterpreted Sentan's Whois bid.   As we make clear in various sections of
our proposal, including draft Appendix O, Part 2 Section 5(b)(xii) and Part 2,
Section 7(iii), Sentan commits to displaying a full, thick whois database just
as NeuLevel currently provides for .biz,  if required by ICANN.   This thick
display would exceed what is presently made available by the incumbent's thin
registry display for .net.   Under our proposal, intellectual property owners
and law enforcement would no longer be forced to search each registrar's
database to find the identity of the registrant but could gain such information
directly from the registry.

Perhaps the writers were confused by our proposal for a "modified thick
display", if such proposal is approved by ICANN.  The .net RFP asked each of
the applicants to propose enhancements to the .net registry.  Each of these
enhancements being subject to ICANN approval.  One of the enhancements we
proposed was the creation of a "modified thick display."  If accepted by ICANN,
the modified thick display would contain all of the information in a thin
registry, plus the name, organization and postal address of the registrant.  It
is important to keep in mind that this additional information is currently not
provided by the incumbent registry operator.   To the extent such information
is available today, it is available through registrars and not through the
registry.  Our modified thick display would provide a central, openly
accessible system for information regarding a particular domain.  Any
information not provided through our modified thick display would, as it is
today, be available from the applicable registrar.
In our proposal we make clear, and I emphasize this again, that we will operate
a fully thick display should ICANN require this.  Furthermore, both of our
display options, the thick display and the modified thick display, provide end
users of the Whois service with more information than is currently provided by
the incumbent.
I hope this addresses ASCAP and AIPLA concerns regarding our Whois proposal.
Regards
Richard Tindal