ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtld-questions]

Both sides of the medal: global TLDs + regional TLDs

  • To: <new-gtld-questions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Both sides of the medal: global TLDs + regional TLDs
  • From: "Dirk Krischenowski" <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:54:46 +0200

As potential new TLD applicant we from .berlin (dotBerlin) would like to
comment on the "New TLD Questions" document:

There are two major trends nowadays: Still ongoing globalization but also
increasing regional self-confidence. These trends are reflected in economic,
cultural and socio-political issues and are visible to us every day.

Both trends are (and should be) also mirrored by TLDs: .com and .jobs are
targeting global audiences on a generic basis and TLD proposals like .eu,
.cat, .nyc and .berlin represent regional interests based on political,
regional, cultural or urban communities.

We think that ICANN should consider being responsible in supporting both,
maintaining global competition on one hand and fostering strong trends in
regionalization on the other hand.

Therefore our suggestion to the "New TLD Questions" document are the
following:
1. "globalization and regionalization trends, and" instead of
"globalisation, and"
2. "technical, market, cultural and geo-political" instead of "technical,
market and geo-political"

Dirk Krischenowski & Alexander Schubert / dotBerlin GmbH & Co. KG /
Gustav-Mueller-Strasse 1 / 10829 Berlin / Germany / T +493081821647 / F
+493081821648 / www.dotberlin.de