ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtld-questions]

Privatization

  • To: new-gtld-questions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privatization
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <rfassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:42:50 -0400 (EDT)

First, I would like to comment that I support the 5 questions, and each
respective sub question, as these have been presented in the staff paper.
Speaking personally, I am a proponent of new TLD's to the Internet in a
responsible manner and I think the 5 questions represent this view i.e.
technical, economic, political, and cultural issues and the fact each does
intertwine.  And where ICANN may internally lack definitive expertise in
any one or more particular area, its initiative to seek and publish
documentation from well regarded third parties in the market place is
commendable and drives to the benefits of the existing ICANN structure.

Privatization of the DNS remains a core mission of ICANN.  The staff paper
is a document that looks to define questions for the sole purpose of
setting forth a process.  This, to me, is the key.  I've heard, for
example, the question of: Should there be new TLD's at all?  Wherein if
the answer to this question is "no", then why should ICANN be attributing
its own resources - and that of third parties - to define the process?

The very first question in the staff paper is: How many? The answer to
this question may in fact be zero. It just might be.  But, the comment I
would like to make here is that the answer can only be zero if - after
defining the process - either 1) no person or entity from the private
sector chooses to participate or 2) no person or entity is able to
participate in a manner deemed as qualified to operate.  Then, the answer
can be zero and, to me, is the only way the answer can be zero.  This
scenario would, in effect, be a statement from the private sector that
there is not interest to operate a new TLD, for whatever reason, as a
result of the process, whatever this may end up being.

Defining the process to introduce a new TLD is what will determine the
response from the private sector.  If allowed, the private sector will
provide the compelling reasons for a given new TLD.  The entire purpose,
to me, of ICANN defining the process is to ask the private sector this
very question: Do you want to participate? If so, here's how.  And this
process must be in a manner where members of the private sector can
properly evaluate, to a reasonable degree, the predictability of outcome,
in some concrete form. The process has to figure this part out in order to
maximize the vast array of benefit the private sector potentially has to
offer to any sort of initiative to introduce new TLD's.

In summary, the answer to Question 1 can't be zero absent of ICANN
defining the process for members of the private sector to evaluate and
then, at that time, choose to participate (or not).  In my opinion, this
is completely in line with the overall mission of DNS privatization and
the reason I support the questions as contained in the staff paper.

These are my own personal views on the subject and sincerely appreciate
your consideration.

Ray Fassett