ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Technical issue with TLD application system - Statement by Akram Atallah, COO of ICANN

  • To: npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Technical issue with TLD application system - Statement by Akram Atallah, COO of ICANN
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:44:08 -0400

Dear NPOC Colleagues,

FYI

Alain Berranger

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 3:25 AM
Subject: [liaison6c] Statement by Akram Atallah, COO
To: "liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

** **

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-15apr12-en.htm****

15 April 2012****

Statement by Akram Atallah, COO****

As we reported yesterday, ICANN continues to study the technical issue that
has prompted us to take the TLD application system offline.****

Our goals remain to get a full understanding of this issue, fix the
problem, notify those who have been affected, and reopen the application
window as soon as possible. We are doing our best to mitigate the impact of
this issue on the application process.****

As reported earlier, some applicants were able to see file names and user
names that belonged to other applicants. An intensive review has produced
no evidence that any data beyond the file names and user names could be
accessed by other users. In addition, it does not appear that this issue
caused any corruption or loss of data.****

We are currently reviewing the data to confirm which applicants were
affected. As soon as the data is confirmed, we will inform all applicants
whether they were affected.****

We are continuing to look at the technical issue and using outside experts
to resolve any open issues before we reopen the application window. We are
extensively testing the system to ensure that all aspects of the issue have
been fully addressed.****

We will reopen the application system as soon as we have full confidence
that the problem has been resolved. As noted in yesterday’s update, we will
announce no later than 23:59 GMT/UTC on Monday, 16 April, whether we will
reopen on Tuesday, 17 April.****

30 April remains our target date to publish the applied-for new domain
names, but this is subject to change.****

We apologize for any concern this issue is causing. In keeping with ICANN’s
longstanding commitment to transparency and accountability, we will
continue to provide regular updates at <
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/tas/interruption-updates> until the
issue is resolved and the application window has reopened.****

** **

** **