ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

Re: [npoc-voice] Call for Volunteers: IGN-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group Members

  • To: Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [npoc-voice] Call for Volunteers: IGN-INGO Protections Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group Members
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:11:06 -0400

Dear Cintra,

Thank you for volunteering! The issue of NPOC members increasing their
participation in selected ICANN working groups will be on the agenda of our
November call (Thanks for putting on agenda, Amber!). It is imperative that
more of us participate. I have argued on this list many times that it is a
great way to network, learn and contribute.

A point of clarification: it is normally Eduardo that posts official ICANN
messages to NPOC-Voice as the first poster, so he usually takes the
initiative if his day job allows him the time. So, I  normally run
potential postings to him first, in his role Chair of NPOC's Communications
Committee. I suggest you do the same thing. If Eduardo is unavailable, of
course, any one of us can post. Do not mean to be too process-strict
however, so it is often a best judgment thing. Thanks for your
understanding.

Cheers, Alain

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Cintra Sooknanan <
cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Please see below, of important interest to NPOC. I have volunteered to be
> on this working group and it is necessary to have others to represent our
> specific concerns.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Cintra Sooknanan
>

> ><http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-29oct12-en.htm>
> http://gnso.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-29oct12-en.htm
> >

> >Call for Volunteers: IGN-INGO Protections Policy
> >Development Process (PDP) Working Group Members
> >Date: 29 October 2012
> >

> >Introduction
> >

> >At its meeting on 17 October 2012, the GNSO
> >Council initiated a Policy Development Process
> >(PDP) on the Protection of Certain International
> >Organization Names in all GTLDs. (see
> ><http://gnso.icann.org/en/resolutions#20121017-2>20121017-2).
> >The GNSO Council decided at this meeting that a
> >group of volunteers should now be convened to
> >draft the charter for the IGO-INGO PDP Working
> >Group, which is to be approved by the GNSO Council.
> >

> >Task of the Drafting Team
> >

> >The Drafting Team will be tasked with developing
> >a charter for the PDP Working Group on the
> >Protection of Certain International Organization
> >Names in all GTLDs. The Charter should include,
> >at a minimum, the following elements as
> >specified in the
> ><http://gnso.icann.org/council/summary-gnso-wg-guidelines-06apr11-en.pdf
> >GNSO
> >Working Group Guidelines: Working Group
> >identification; Mission, Purpose and
> >Deliverables; Formation, Staffing and
> >Organization, and; Rules of Engagement. The
> >proposed charter will be submitted to the GNSO
> >Council for its consideration. Upon completion
> >of the Charter by the Drafting Team, the Working
> >Group will then begin execution of the Charter.
> >

> >Volunteers
> >

> >If you are interested to participate, please
> >send an email to the
> ><mailto:gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>GNSO
> >Secretariat. You will be required to complete a
> ><http://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/New+SOIs>Statement
> >of Interest in order to participate. It is
> >proposed that the group meet each Wednesday at 18:00 UTC for two hours.
> >

> >Background Information on the Issue
> >

> >The ICANN Board has requested policy advice from
> >the GNSO Council and the GAC on whether special
> >protections should be afforded for the names and
> >acronyms of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
> >("RCRC"), the International Olympic Committee
> >("IOC") and/or International Government Organizations ("IGOs").
> >
> >In September 2011, the GAC sent advice to the
> >GNSO with a proposal for granting second level
> >protections based upon the protections afforded
> >to IOC/RCRC at the first level during the
> >initial round of new gTLD applications, and that
> >such protections are permanent. As a result of
> >the GAC proposal submitted to the GNSO, the GNSO
> >IOC/RCRC Drafting Team was formed and created a
> [...]

Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Member, Board of Directors, CECI,
http://www.ceci.ca<http://www.ceci.ca/en/about-ceci/team/board-of-directors/>
Executive-in-residence, Schulich School of Business, www.schulich.yorku.ca
Treasurer, Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation, www.gkpfoundation.org
NA representative, Chasquinet Foundation, www.chasquinet.org
Chair, NPOC, NCSG, ICANN, http://npoc.org/
O:+1 514 484 7824; M:+1 514 704 7824
Skype: alain.berranger

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Ce courriel est confidentiel et est à l’usage exclusif du destinataire
ci-dessus. Toute personne qui lit le présent message sans en être le
destinataire, ou l’employé(e) ou la personne responsable de le remettre au
destinataire, est par les présentes avisée qu’il lui est strictement
interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer, de le modifier ou de le
reproduire, en tout ou en partie . Si le destinataire ne peut être joint ou
si ce document vous a été communiqué par erreur, veuillez nous en informer
sur le champ  et détruire ce courriel et toute copie de celui-ci. Merci de
votre coopération.

CONFIDENTIALITY MESSAGE
This e-mail message is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee. Please note that, should this message be read by anyone
other than the addressee, his or her employee or the person responsible for
forwarding it to the addressee, it is strictly prohibited to disclose,
distribute, modify or reproduce the contents of this message, in whole or
in part. If the addressee cannot be reached or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail and
destroy all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.