ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] I-Inform Alliance

  • To: <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] I-Inform Alliance
  • From: "klaus.stoll" <klaus.stoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:41:28 +0100

Dear Friends

Greetings and I trust you all had a good Holiday Season and a great start to
the New Year.

There have been a lot of developments in Internet Governance in the last month,
and if one thing has become clear it is that the old structures need support
and input to get the job done. A lot of thinking has taken place and one of the
results is the creation of the I-Inform Alliance. I have attached the draft 2.1
of the alliance below and I want to invite you to comment freely on it. I also
would like to invite NPOC to become a founding and key member of the alliance
and I therefor propose that we might discuss the alliance at the NPOC monthly
call next week. If you and your organization would like to become active in
I-Inform please let me know and I also would appreciate any suggestions that
concern how to support the establishment and running of the alliance in
practical terms. I-Inform is badly needed and it needs to hit the ground
running in order to get its job done.

Yours

Klaus

I-Inform Alliance

Draft 2.1

Internet Governance today

Internet Governance(IG), has been likened to a country where 0.1% are in charge
of 99.9% of the population. 99.9% of Information Technologies(IT) users are
uninformed consumers. In the case of IG, the vast  majority of IT users are
completely ignorant even of its existence. This is not just a problem for the
99.9% that are disempowered and voiceless, it is an even bigger problem for the
0.1% concerned with the structural integrity and safety, regulation, policy
making and governance of modern ITs. The legitimacy and effectiveness of IG is
in direct proportion to the ability to create general awareness and engagement
of IT users. The biggest challenge for all those concerned with IG today is the
lack of awareness and engagement of the vast majority of IT users.

ITs have become a global public good; they have become a “common”, an
instrument for human existence and development of highest importance and value.
A global public common such as the ITs, can only function when all stakeholders
are able to participate effectively in them. IG has to become a topic of common
debate and interest for everybody like peace, the environment and climate
change are today. IG becomes a topic of widespread interest and importance when
the users of IT understand that it is IG in all its aspects that is keeping the
network running and the technologies developing.

Many organizations, conscious of the importance of IG, have taken on the
challenge of raising awareness and engaging the general public in IG, but no
initiative has yet the desired and necessary impact. ITs and its users are one
big cosmos; whilst individual IG stakeholders and their initiatives, however
big and global they are, can cover only specific aspects of IG that are in
their direct remit. In doing so, they are only able to reach a tiny proportion
of the overall IT users. What is necessary is the ability to engage with vast
numbers of IT users globally and to convey the message of the critical
significance of IG for all.

A pre-requisite for effective awareness building and engagement in IG on a
large global scale are joint initiatives that bring together many IG
stakeholders with their different motivations, roles, functions and abilities.
Such joint IG initiatives need a collaborative stage on which they can be
initiated, sourced and coordinated.

I-Inform  is an alliance for collaborative large scale IG awareness building
and engagement with  IT users everywhere.

Vision:

To inform and educate the global general public about all aspects of IG in
order to enable engagement, participation and informed decision making.

Mission:

To unite all Internet Governance Stakeholders in a collaborative alliance that
enables them to upscale, create and implement large scale IG awareness building
and engagement initiatives for IT users everywhere.

I-Inform: Proposed Activities

·         To bring together all IG stakeholders to share the need to raise
awareness and engagement of the global general public in all aspects of IG.

·         To act as a platform that allows IG stakeholders to interchange and
disseminate information IG related information freely.

·         To enable partnering with, and up-scaling of existing IG initiatives.

·         To enable alliances to implement on a large scale new collaborative
IG awareness building and engagement initiatives.

·         To act as a depository of available IG materials.

·         To act as a multiplication, dissemination and distribution channel
for all matters IG related.

·         To act as a one stop shop for all information available on current IG
issues.

·         To act as a point of engagement, interchange and collaboration
between IG stakeholders and the world media.

·         To promote and engage in innovation and creation of new IG awareness
building and engagement activities.

I-Inform: Expected Outcomes

·         Large scale awareness building and engagement of the general public
in IG issues.

·         INFORMED IT Users will make INFORMED choices that will result in
INFORMED policy making and result in the sustained development of the common
good of IT’s.

·         Strengthening and renewal of those organizations engaged with IG. As
more people know about the role and importance of IG, more people will engage
with it. As more people engage and participate in IG existing governance
structures will reevaluate and reform themselves, based on the much broader
input, in an organic ongoing process. This process of renewal will not be a
revolutionary one but an ongoing process of evaluation and reform that is based
on broad participation of all stakeholders. An informed general public will
lead to organic changes and reform in the organizations themselves that will
make them more stable, effective and relevant.

·         Strengthening the IG Ecosystem. Organisations active in I-Inform will
have a platform that allows them to informally work and act together and in
this way learn to understand and respect each other which results in a
strengthened overall IG ecosystem

·         Creation of win/win situations. The biggest argument for the alliance
is that everybody that engages with it is winning, as everybody and all sectors
engaged will achieve outcomes that are beneficial for them. The participation
and support of the campaign is in the self interest of all IG stakeholders.

I-Inform: Rules of Engagement

·         The Alliance is open to all Internet Stakeholders that share the goal
to inform and educate the global general public about all aspects of IG.

·         The Alliance is outcome and impact orientated.

·         The Alliance strives to achieve its goals with a minimum of formal
organizational structures and overheads. The Alliance will start and stay as a
virtual organization and not strive to become a new formal organization.

·         The members of the Alliance have different roles and functions but
share a single goal.  Different stakeholders in IG have different roles,
functions and policies; some are mainly interested to manage a “common”, the
stable root system, others basically represent national interests whilst
another group is looking out for the right conditions for the Internet to be
used as the basis of economic development and growth. What unites them all in
the I-Inform Alliance is the urgent need for collaborative large scale IG
awareness building and engagement with IT users everywhere.

·         The I-Inform Alliance has no policy making role, membership in the
alliance does not indicate agreement with specific policies of, or automatic
affiliation with, other alliance members.

I-Inform : Steps of Implementation and Timelines

The alliance needs to be initially coordinated and organized by a neutral
organization that has interest, mandate, experience and capacity to do so. This
organisation is the Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation (GKPF).

GKPF will execute the creation and management of I-Inform under its
“e-readiness and capacity building” working area.

Next steps:

1.       A call to arms, (Jan-March 2013)

        In this time the following main steps will be undertaken:

a)      Refinement of I-Inform concept and promotional materials

b)      Registration of I-Inform domain and creation of www site

c)       Creation of I-Inform discussion list (initially on GKPF www site)

d)      Informal talks with heads and key players of relevant IG organizations;
these talks will have to include conceptual and implementation issues, funding
considerations and commitments and governance.

e)      Dissemination of I-Inform Promotional material.

2.       Collecting expressions of interest and support (Jan 2013-ongoing)

        The I-Inform promotional materials will include a call to express
institutional and           individual interest and support of the alliance.

3.       Implementation of a Alliance Core group (March/April 2013)

                      After the initial talks with organizations and received
indications of interest and support a I-       Informed implementation core
group should be formed. The core group should use conference calls to discuss
the further promotion and planning and in particular start preparing a business
plan…

4.       First Alliance Planning meeting resulting in a two day I-Inform
inaugural meeting in Spring 2013. Possible meeting host are IICD (The Hague,
The Netherlands) or CTIC (Gijon, Asturias, Spain). The task of the inaugural
meeting will be to create a strategic and business plan draft

5.       I-Inform Alliance Plan of action and Plan of implementation.