ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

Re: [npoc-voice] Request for Assistance from ICANN

  • To: Rudi Vansnick <rudi.vansnick@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [npoc-voice] Request for Assistance from ICANN
  • From: Sam Lanfranco <Lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:33:03 -0500

Colleagues,

I tend to agree with Rudi Vansnick's assessment but for some slightly
different reasons. The questions look like they do reflect some inner
ICANN thinking. As a result some of the questions are too "corporate",
forcing answers that probably miss what the respondent really wants to
say. The absence of a "neutral" response option on the lykert scale
further constrained responses.

One problem is that the ICANN administration corporate self image sees
itself as the producer of a product, facing a stakeholder community
that it wants to get "on side", and maybe learn something from,
although that "something" seems mainly to be how to get more
stakeholders on side.

More properly, ICANN administration should view itself as just one
more stakeholder group in the process of pursuing the future health
and wellness of the Internet. Failure to understand that point causes
it to poorly understand stakeholder Internet dynamics outside ICANN,
and  puts the Internet at risk. This has nothing to do with the
relative positions of ICANN and the ITU.

It has a lot to do with any number of other multilateral treaties,
treaty organizations, and national legislation coming down the
pipeline, driven to deal with aspects of Internet governance that are
boiling just below the surface, and not dealt with adequately in
ICANN's multi-stakeholder engagement strategy.

Sam Lanfranco, York U.

----------- Rudi Vansnick's - comments

> Colleagues,
>
> Good ICANN is doing some homework, questioning the grassroots, but
> unfortunately they took a wrong partner. At least, that's my
> personal opinion. All over the survey they speak of ICANN company,
> while ICANN is not at all a company. So, it looks as if the survey
> is a kind of copy-paste survey from other origins. As such I have
> to conclude ICANN is spending it's money with less appropriate
> partners. Furthermore who is selecting these partners ?
> I'm afraid time has come to query for more open transparent and
> effective multi-stakeholderism where stakeholders are allowed to
> partner in all aspects, and as such also the selection of those
> querying us and the community.
>
> If would not have known ICANN (i'm involved since 2005) I would
> really think I have to do with a commercial structure. What's your
> opinion in this ?
>
> Rudi Vansnick

------
"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
 in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran@xxxxxxxx   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: 613 476-0429 cell: 416-816-2852