ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Fwd: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment Process

  • To: npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Fwd: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment Process
  • From: mlemineur@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:23:25 -0500

---------------------------- Mensaje original ----------------------------
Asunto: Fwd: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment
Process
De:     "Marie-laure Lemineur" <mllemineur@xxxxxxxxx>
Fecha:  Dom, 23 de Junio de 2013, 1:19 pm
Para:   mlemineur@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Enviado desde mi iPad

Inicio del mensaje reenviado:

> De: Marie-laure Lemineur <mllemineur@xxxxxxxxx>
> Fecha: 23 de junio de 2013 12:02:19 GMT-06:00
> Para: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
> Asunto: Fwd: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter
Amendment Process

> Dear community members,
>
> The ICANN Board Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) has elaborated a
formal procedure for GNSO stakeholders groups and constituencies (like
NPOC) to request formal validation by the ICANN Board of its charter
amendments.

> During our last NPOC EC meetings, several of us have  identified   that
there is a  need to review our NPOC Charter and amend it.  Currently
there is no formalized procedure for a GNSO group to request recognition
by the ICANN Board for such a Charter amendment.  This is a procedural
gap  that the proposal of the SIC seeks to remedy.

> The open public comment period for community members input about the
proposed process by the SIC oponed  onJune 22d and will close until
August 29th as displayed below. I therefore would like to encourage  our
 community members who are interested to post a comment.

> Best regards,
>
> Marie-laure
>

> Enviado desde mi iPad
>

> Inicio del mensaje reenviado:
>
>> De: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Fecha: 23 de junio de 2013 08:35:47 GMT-06:00
>> Para: liaison6c <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Asunto: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment
Process

>> http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/structures-charter-22jun13-en.htm
>> GNSO Structures Charter Amendment Process
>>
>> Comment / Reply Periods (*)
>> Comment Open Date: 22 June 2013
>> Comment Close Date: 28 August 2013 - 23:59 UTC
>> Reply Open Date: 29 August 2013
>> Reply Close Date: 18 September 2013 - 23:59 UTC
>> Important Information Links
>> Public Comment Announcement
>> To Submit Your Comments (Forum)
>> View Comments Submitted
>> Brief Overview
>> Originating Organization:
>> ICANN Board: Structural Improvements Committee (SIC)
>> Categories/Tags:
>> Reviews/Improvements
>> Purpose (Brief):
>> To solicit community feedback concerning a formalized process, proposed
by the Board's Structural Improvements Committee (SIC), for amending
GNSO Stakeholder Group and Constituency Charters.

>> Current Status:
>> After multiple iterations and thorough discussion by its members over
several months, the SIC has approved a recommendation that a proposed
GNSO Charter Amendment Procedure (described below) be posted for public
comment.

>> Next Steps:
>> Upon receipt and review of community feedback pursuant to this
solicitation, the SIC will determine if any substantive changes to the
proposed procedure are advisable and will subsequently consider
requesting ICANN Board approval of the process.

>> Staff Contact:
>> Robert Hoggarth
>> Email Staff Contact
>> Detailed Information
>> Section I: Description, Explanation, and Purpose:
>> The ICANN Bylaws (Article X, Section 5.3) state, "Each [GNSO]
Stakeholder Group … and each of its associated Constituencies shall
maintain recognition with the ICANN Board."  During this time of
significant organizational changes within ICANN and its GNSO community,
it is important that Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies have the
flexibility to update, modify and evolve their charters so that those
governing documents remain accurate and viable. There is currently no
formalized procedure for a GNSO Stakeholder Group or Constituency to
request recognition by the ICANN Board of Directors for a charter
amendment. To address this procedural gap, the Board’s Structural
Improvements Committee (SIC) has formulated a process (below) that is
intended to accommodate the periodic need to amend charter documents
with the ICANN Bylaws requirement for formal validation by the Board.

>> GNSO Structures Charter Amendment Process – As Proposed
>>
>> Phase I: Amendment Preparation
>>
>> GNSO Stakeholder Groups (SGs) and Constituencies should formulate
charter amendments through their own internal processes and notify
policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx upon initiation of such efforts. [Note: If the
SG Charter requires it, proposed amendment(s) to Constituency Charters
must first be submitted to the applicable SG for review and evaluation
before being forwarded to Staff and Board.]

>> Phase II: Staff Review
>>
>> Upon receipt of the proposed amendment(s), ICANN Staff will analyze the
proposal and, within 10 business days, submit the community proposal
with a report to the Board identifying any fiscal or liability
concerns.

>> Phase III: Public Comments
>>
>> After Board review of the Staff report and the proposed charter
amendments, the Board will direct the opening of a Public Comment
Forum. Upon its completion, within 30 calendar days, Staff will provide
a report summarizing the community feedback.

>> Phase IV: Board Review
>>
>> At the next available opportunity after the publication of the Staff
report the Board shall either:

>> Recognize the proposed charter amendment by a simple majority vote; or
>> Reject the proposed amendment by a supermajority (2/3) vote and provide
a specific rationale for its concerns.
>> In its review of the proposed amendments, the ICANN Board may ask
questions and otherwise consult with the affected SG or Constituency.
If it is not feasible for the Board to take action on the proposed
amendments after two meetings, the Board shall report to the affected
SG or Constituency the circumstance(s) that prevented it from making a
final action and its best estimate of the time required to reach an
action.

>> Section II: Background:
>> In July 2009, as part of the comprehensive GNSO Improvements program,
the ICANN Board approved the formal Charters of four new GNSO
Stakeholder Groups (SGs) (see ICANN Board Resolution 2009.30.07.09). A
Constituency Charter reconfirmation effort was initiated by a Board
resolution at its 1 October 2008 meeting and discontinued in 2009 in
favor of a new regular review cycle.

>> During the intervening three years or so, there had been no additional
formal charter activity until May 2012 at which time the Registry
Stakeholder Group (RySG) submitted a set of changes to its charter.
After discussing the substance of the RySG's amendments, the Structural
Improvements Committee (SIC) determined that a process should exist
that would cause charter amendments to be formally reviewed not only by
the Board, but the ICANN community as well before being finalized.

>> The SIC has now asked the staff to seek community review and comment on
the proposed process outlined above.

>> Section III: Document and Resource Links:
>> None
>>
>> Section IV: Additional Information:
>> SIC Meeting Minutes - 6 April 2013
>> SIC Meeting Minutes - 28 March 2013
>> SIC Meeting Minutes - 31 January 2013
>> (*) Comments submitted after the posted Close Date/Time are not
guaranteed to be considered in any final summary, analysis, reporting,
or decision-making that takes place once this period lapses.

>> Glen de Saint Géry
>> GNSO Secretariat
>> gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://gnso.icann.org

Lemineur &lt;<a
href="mailto:npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx";>npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx</a>" &lt;<a
 <b>Fwd: [liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment
http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><div>Dear
Improvements Committee (SIC) has elaborated a formal procedure for GNSO
stakeholders groups and constituencies (like NPOC) to request formal validation
our last NPOC EC meetings, several of us have &nbsp;identified &nbsp; that
there is a &nbsp;need to review our NPOC Charter and amend it. &nbsp;Currently
there is no formalized procedure for a GNSO group to request recognition by the
ICANN Board for such a Charter amendment. &nbsp;This is a procedural &nbsp;gap
&nbsp;that the proposal of the SIC seeks to
community members input about the proposed process by the SIC opened &nbsp;
June 22d and will close until August 29th as displayed below.&nbsp;I therefore
would like to encourage &nbsp;our &nbsp;community members who are interested to
Géry &lt;<a
 <b>[liaison6c] Public Comment:GNSO Structures Charter Amendment
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:Wingdings;
        panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0cm;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
        mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
h1
        {mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
        mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
        margin-right:0cm;
        mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
        margin-left:0cm;
        font-size:24.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        font-weight:bold;}
h3
        {mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 3 Char";
        mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
        margin-right:0cm;
        mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
        margin-left:0cm;
        font-size:13.5pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        font-weight:bold;}
h4
        {mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 4 Char";
        mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
        margin-right:0cm;
        mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
        margin-left:0cm;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        font-weight:bold;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:purple;
        text-decoration:underline;}
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
        margin-right:0cm;
        mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
        margin-left:0cm;
        font-size:12.0pt;
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.Heading1Char
        {mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char";
        mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 1";
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        mso-fareast-language:FR-BE;
        font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading3Char
        {mso-style-name:"Heading 3 Char";
        mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 3";
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        mso-fareast-language:FR-BE;
        font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading4Char
        {mso-style-name:"Heading 4 Char";
        mso-style-priority:9;
        mso-style-link:"Heading 4";
        font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
        mso-fareast-language:FR-BE;
        font-weight:bold;}
span.EmailStyle21
        {mso-style-type:personal;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
        color:windowtext;}
span.fieldset-legend
        {mso-style-name:fieldset-legend;}
span.date-display-single
        {mso-style-name:date-display-single;}
span.EmailStyle26
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
        color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
        margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
/* List Definitions */
@list l0
        {mso-list-id:40597675;
        mso-list-template-ids:-282030666;}
@list l1
        {mso-list-id:86507999;
        mso-list-template-ids:-98014466;}
@list l1:level1
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0B7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Symbol;}
@list l1:level2
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:o;
        mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Courier New";
        mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@list l1:level3
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l1:level4
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt;
@list l1:level5
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt;
@list l1:level6
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt;
@list l1:level7
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt;
@list l1:level8
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt;
@list l1:level9
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l2
        {mso-list-id:950162312;
        mso-list-template-ids:-1707171516;}
@list l2:level1
@list l2:level2
@list l2:level3
@list l2:level4
@list l2:level5
@list l2:level6
@list l2:level7
@list l2:level8
@list l2:level9
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0B7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Symbol;}
@list l3
        {mso-list-id:1294366707;
        mso-list-template-ids:-179415384;}
@list l3:level1
        {mso-level-tab-stop:36.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level2
        {mso-level-tab-stop:72.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level3
        {mso-level-tab-stop:108.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level4
        {mso-level-tab-stop:144.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level5
        {mso-level-tab-stop:180.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level6
        {mso-level-tab-stop:216.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level7
        {mso-level-tab-stop:252.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level8
        {mso-level-tab-stop:288.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l3:level9
        {mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;}
@list l4
        {mso-list-id:1501509126;
        mso-list-template-ids:1664671862;}
@list l4:level1
@list l4:level2
@list l4:level3
@list l4:level4
@list l4:level5
@list l4:level6
@list l4:level7
@list l4:level8
@list l4:level9
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0A7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Wingdings;}
@list l5
        {mso-list-id:1857769444;
        mso-list-template-ids:1330178478;}
@list l5:level1
@list l5:level2
@list l5:level3
@list l5:level4
@list l5:level5
@list l5:level6
@list l5:level7
@list l5:level8
@list l5:level9
        {mso-level-number-format:bullet;
        mso-level-text:\F0B7;
        mso-level-tab-stop:324.0pt;
        mso-level-number-position:left;
        text-indent:-18.0pt;
        mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:Symbol;}
ol
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}
ul
        {margin-bottom:0cm;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class="WordSection1"><h1><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a

href="http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/structures-charter-22jun13-en.htm";><span
 class="Heading1Char"><span lang="EN-US"
 lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><br>GNSO
 Structures Charter Amendment Process<o:p></o:p></span></h1><p
class="MsoNormal"><span class="fieldset-legend"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Comment
 / Reply Periods (*)</span></span><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Comment
 Open Date:&nbsp;<span class="date-display-single">22 June
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Comment
 Close Date:&nbsp;<span class="date-display-single">28 August 2013 - 23:59
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Reply
 Open Date:&nbsp;<span class="date-display-single">29 August
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Reply
 Close Date:&nbsp;<span class="date-display-single">18 September 2013 - 23:59
class="fieldset-legend"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Important
 Information Links</span></span><span lang="EN-US"

href="http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-22jun13-en.htm";><span
 href="mailto:comments-structures-charter-22jun13@xxxxxxxxx";><span
 href="http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-structures-charter-22jun13/";><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span class="fieldset-legend"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Brief
 Overview</span></span><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Originating
lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">ICANN
 Board: Structural Improvements Committee (SIC)<o:p></o:p></span></p><p
class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Categories/Tags:&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></span></p><ul
 type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l1 level1
lfo3"><span
 class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Purpose
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">To solicit
community feedback concerning a formalized process, proposed by the Board's
Structural Improvements Committee (SIC), for amending GNSO Stakeholder Group
lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Current
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">After multiple
iterations and thorough discussion by its members over several months, the SIC
has approved a recommendation that a proposed <strong><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">GNSO Charter
Amendment Procedure</span></strong> (described below) be posted for public
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Next
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Upon receipt and
review of community feedback pursuant to this solicitation, the SIC will
determine if any substantive changes to the proposed procedure are advisable
and will subsequently consider requesting ICANN Board approval of the
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Staff
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Robert
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a

href="mailto:policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx?subject=More%20information%20on%20the%20GNSO%20Structures%20Charter%20Amendment%20Process%20public%20comment%20period";><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span class="fieldset-legend"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Detailed
 Information</span></span><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Section
lang="EN-US" style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">The
ICANN Bylaws (Article X, Section 5.3) state, "Each [GNSO] Stakeholder Group …
and each of its associated Constituencies shall maintain recognition with the
ICANN Board."&nbsp; During this time of significant organizational changes
within ICANN and its GNSO community, it is important that Stakeholder Groups
and Constituencies have the flexibility to update, modify and evolve their
charters so that those governing documents remain accurate and viable. There is
currently no formalized procedure for a GNSO Stakeholder Group or Constituency
to request recognition by the ICANN Board of Directors for a charter amendment.
To address this procedural gap, the Board’s Structural Improvements Committee
(SIC) has formulated a process (below) that is intended to accommodate the
periodic need to amend charter documents with the ICANN Bylaws requirement for
formal validation by the Board.<o:p></o:p></span></p><h3><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">GNSO
 Structures Charter Amendment Process – As
Proposed<o:p></o:p></span></h3><h4><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Phase I: Amendment
Preparation<o:p></o:p></span></h4><p><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">GNSO Stakeholder
Groups (SGs) and Constituencies should formulate charter amendments through
their own internal processes and notify </span><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><a
href="mailto:policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx";><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"> upon initiation
of such efforts. <em><span
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">[Note: If the SG
Charter requires it, proposed amendment(s) to Constituency Charters must first
be submitted to the applicable SG for review and evaluation before being
forwarded to Staff and Board.]</span></em><o:p></o:p></span></p><h4><span
lang="EN-US" style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Phase
II: Staff Review<o:p></o:p></span></h4><p><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Upon receipt of
the proposed amendment(s), ICANN Staff will analyze the proposal and, within 10
business days, submit the community proposal with a report to the Board
identifying any fiscal or liability concerns.<o:p></o:p></span></p><h4><span
lang="EN-US" style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Phase
III: Public Comments<o:p></o:p></span></h4><p><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">After Board review
of the Staff report and the proposed charter amendments, the Board will direct
the opening of a Public Comment Forum. Upon its completion, within 30 calendar
days, Staff will provide a report summarizing the community
feedback.<o:p></o:p></span></p><h4><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Phase IV: Board
Review<o:p></o:p></span></h4><p><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">At the next
available opportunity after the publication of the Staff report the Board shall
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l3 level1
lfo6"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Recognize
 the proposed charter amendment by a simple majority vote;
or<o:p></o:p></span></li><li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l3 level1
lfo6"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Reject
 the proposed amendment by a supermajority (2/3) vote and provide a specific
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">In its review of
the proposed amendments, the ICANN Board may ask questions and otherwise
consult with the affected SG or Constituency. If it is not feasible for the
Board to take action on the proposed amendments after two meetings, the Board
shall report to the affected SG or Constituency the circumstance(s) that
prevented it from making a final action and its best estimate of the time
lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Section
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">In July 2009, as
part of the comprehensive GNSO Improvements program, the ICANN Board approved
the formal Charters of four new GNSO Stakeholder Groups (SGs) (see ICANN Board
Resolution 2009.30.07.09). A Constituency Charter reconfirmation effort was
initiated by a Board resolution at its 1 October 2008 meeting and discontinued
lang="EN-US"
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">During the
intervening three years or so, there had been no additional formal charter
activity until May 2012 at which time the Registry Stakeholder Group (RySG)
submitted a set of changes to its charter. After discussing the substance of
the RySG's amendments, the Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) determined
that a process should exist that would cause charter amendments to be formally
reviewed not only by the Board, but the ICANN community as well before being
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">The SIC has now
asked the staff to seek community review and comment on the proposed process
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Section
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">None<o:p></o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">Section
class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l4 level1
lfo9"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">SIC
 Meeting Minutes - <a
href="http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/minutes-bsic-06apr13-en.htm";>6
 April 2013</a><o:p></o:p></span></li><li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l4 level1
lfo9"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">SIC
 Meeting Minutes - <a
href="http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/minutes-bsic-28mar13-en.htm";>28
 March 2013</a><o:p></o:p></span></li><li class="MsoNormal"
style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;mso-list:l4 level1
lfo9"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">SIC
 Meeting Minutes - <a
href="http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/documents/minutes-bsic-31jan13-en.htm";>31
align="center" style="text-align:center"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><hr
style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">(*) Comments
submitted after the posted Close Date/Time are not guaranteed to be considered
in any final summary, analysis, reporting, or decision-making that takes place
lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span lang="EN-US"
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p><p
 class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;mso-fareast-language:FR-BE">Glen

href="http://gnso.icann.org/";>http://gnso.icann.org</a></b><o:p></o:p></span></p><p