ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] First meeting of the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group

  • To: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx NPOC" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] First meeting of the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group
  • From: Rudi Vansnick <rudi.vansnick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:22:57 +0100

Dear NPOC members,

I would like to bring to your attention the message below, about the first
meeting of the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP
Working Group.
NPOC was active in the drafting team and will again be an active player in the
PDP WG. We would appreciate, if such is possible, you would take a quick look
at the meeting description below and of course you’re all very welcome tomorrow
at this meeting. We know the impact of this PDP is of high importance to the
DNS as it touches upon the critical information being the WHOIS data. Many
debates are ongoing and this new PDP is going to be part of it.

Your comments, remarks and input is more than welcome, even if you just want to
drop us at NPOC Policy Committee the comments. We’ll certainly will keep track
of them and will inject in the WG.

Kind regards,

Rudi Vansnick
NPOC chair Policy Committee
NPOC treasurer
rudi.vansnick@xxxxxxxx
Tel : +32 (0)9 329 39 16
Mobile : +32 (0)475 28 16 32
www.npoc.org
Dear all,

Following the closure of the Doodle poll, I am excited to let you all know that
we have an unprecedented unanimous vote for our weekly meeting time: Thursdays
at 14.00 UTC. The first meeting will therefore be held on Thursday 19 December
2013 at 14.00 UTC – for local times, please http://tinyurl.com/jwmu4avsee.

The call details for out first meeting will follow shortly.

Below I pasted again the welcome message that had gone out to you already, in
addition, please let me draw your attention to the WG wiki page
(https://community.icann.org/x/FTR-Ag) where all relevant information will be
posted – and please feel free to use this space not just as users but also as
contributors; you should all have editing rights once you have signed up to the
ICANN community wiki and have received a password.

Best wishes,
Julie and Lars

Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group,
Thursday 19 December 2013, 14.00 UTC (http://tinyurl.com/jwmu4avsee)

Draft Agenda

 1.  Welcome
 2.  Introductory Presentation by Staff

a) The GNSO Policy Development Process
b) Background on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information
c) Working Group Charter
d) Feasibility Study

3. Administrative matters, incl. proposals for Co-/Chairs.
4. AOB
5. Confirmation of next meeting

---

This PDP has been tasked by the GNSO Council to Group to address issues related
to the potential need to translate and/or transliterate contact information
data. As part of its deliberations on this issue, Charter stipulates several
questions for the PDP WG to consider, including (but not limited to):

 *   Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single
common language or transliterate contact information to a single common script.
 *   Who should decide who should bear the burden translating contact
information to a single common language or transliterating contact information
to a single common script.

For more detailed, consult the WG's
Charter<http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/transliteration-contact-charter-06nov13-en.pdf>.

In preparation for the first meeting, please take a moment to review the
relevant background documents, including the
Charter<http://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/transliteration-contact-charter-06nov13-en.pdf>,
 which have been posted on the WG workspace
https://community.icann.org/x/FTR-Ag.

Staff will start this first session with an introductory presentation on the
issue of Translation and Transliteration and also provide some other useful
background on the GNSO Policy Development Process. In addition, a nomination of
a Working Group Chair or co-Chairs is expected to take place during the first
meeting, volunteers are encouraged to express interest ahead or even during the
meeting.

We'll be using Adobe Connect to facilitate the meeting. For those of you using
Adobe Connect for the first time, please find a short introduction video here:
https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/participatemeeting/.