ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Olevie's posting on "CONGO has lost its role it played during the WSIS"

  • To: Olévié Kouami <olivierkouami@xxxxxxxxx>, "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Olevie's posting on "CONGO has lost its role it played during the WSIS"
  • From: Sam Lanfranco <lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 09:32:38 -0400

Olévié has brought to NPOC-Voice list the important issue of stakeholder voice across not just human rights (case cited) or Internet governance (NPOC primary remit) but across all global policy issues. CONGO, was envisioned as a primary support and platform for a civil society stakeholder voice. It understood that such stakeholder presence has to involve broad and deep knowledgeable stakeholder engagement in policy processes. CONGO is in trouble.

I will take this opportunity to burden NPOC-Voice colleagues what amounts to the second part of my manifesto as NPOC Policy Committee Chair, the part that has to do with broader and deeper stakeholder engagement in Internet policy. It is the last of my longish postings here (circa 1000 words). When I want to say this much I will resort to short comments and a blog link to longer content.

It is worth a brief reflection on why stakeholder voice is more important now than ever (i.e., what has changed other than our sensitivities to injustice, dignity and the like), what are the key obstacles, and what are the ways forward. This is not the place for the treatise, so bullet points will have to do: 1. The industrialization and colonialism of the 19th Century produced a 20th Century demand for a complementary layer of governance, the multilateral treaty and organization, that linked nation states, and where power remained centralized; 2. The 20th Century’s recognition of human rights, social justice and dignity as goals, and the end of colonialism, shifted attention back to the well-being of the community and the individual, calling for greater stakeholder voice, and finally; 3. Greater economic interdependence and the technological revolution of the Internet shrank distance and opened space for humans to build structures and processes across time and space that will help animate, or obstruct greater stakeholder voice and the pursuit of those lofty goals. In short, successful innovation in multistakeholder voice and governance will be to the 21st Century what innovation in multilateral governance was to the 20th Century; unthinkable at first and eventually essential and pervasive.

This puts the challenge of how to get there from here squarely on the agenda of all stakeholders but more directly on the shoulders of civil society with its focus on both voice and the broader goals, and not the narrower agenda of commercial interests, or the sometimes less than representative efforts of national governments. There are two key tasks here. One has to do with the Internet itself and the other has to do with deepening and broadening knowledgeable stakeholder engagement in policy dialogue and governance.

While we generally agree that a free and open Internet is essential there is no consensus yet as to what that actually means in practice. In part this is the problem in the South Asian parable of the seven blind men trying to describe an elephant. Stakeholders see elements of the Internet and respond to strategic options, with regard to policy or tactics, based on that perception. Is the Internet like a central nervous system but linking multiple bodies? Is its impact as medium or as message? Did or will it create a global village? What do all of these have to do with how to get stakeholder voice and how to use it to have creative and effective dialogue around where we go from here?

It is useful to think of the Internet as a pervasive human construction that should function a bit like naturer’s own pervasive construction, gravity. Just as gravity gives a vehicle the same road traction for a vehicle in Argentina, Botswana, or China, or for a rich person’s car and a poor persons’ bike, and independent of whether they are going to work or to play; at some fundamental and agreed upon level the core (stable and secure) workings of the Internet should be universal.

Beyond that much of the policy dialogue and debate around the Internet has to do not with the Internet itself but with lofty goals that came out of the 20th Century and are within the remit of civil society organizations. Just as traffic rules are not about gravity per se, much of Internet use is not about the Internet per se, and needs to be addressed beyond organizations like ICANN. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is instructive here. It sets the principles, the core values, but other institutions deal with the legislative and judicial aspects of policy. This suggests that a key ongoing policy area is how Internet governance is deployed, both horizontally around the globe (who covers what?) and vertically through existing layers of governance (what at what level?). Neither a One-Stop-Shop nor a One-Size-Fits-All works here.

At the core of this in terms of observing core values and pursuing ultimate goals is broad and deep knowledgeable stakeholder engagement. Here I think we have several problems. One of course is that the Internet is poorly understood. It is new and its gravity-like human built core properties are still being determined. This calls for a two level educational effort. At one level is an ICANN style stakeholder outreach that tries to encompass what the Internet is and what, within ICANN’s remit, the policy issues are, hoping to attract interest and involvement. At a more important level the educational challenge is to help stakeholders understand where they reside in the Internet ecosystem and help them discover what policy and strategic issues are important to them, especially from a civil society perspective.

The next challenge is how to give voice, how to engage, knowledgeable and concerned stakeholders. We have another problem here. Thus far the strategy has been something like a global town hall (non-democracy) approach where selected (how?) representatives (of whom?) are invited to global events. Pre-planning and time constrain agendas, dialogue, and outcomes (mainly used as inputs to next event). For outcomes to be more than that, stakeholder coalitions have to be structured to participate in policy dialogue at the levels of governance where policy is made, implemented, and adjudicated. For the infinite future that will be within the nation state and piecemeal across various multilateral structures, much as has been done with the UDHR. Direct town hall democracy always gives way to layered representative democracy when stakeholder numbers grow.

Figuring out how to go beyond WSIS## and ICANN## to a layered and ongoing civil society stakeholder involvement, and anchoring involvement closer to where stakeholders reside within the Internet ecosystem, and closer to their “local-but-shared” Internet issues, are at the core of successful multistakeholder governance. This is not only top of the agenda for ICANN now, but will be top of the agenda for the world as the 21st Century rolls on.

We cannot simply hold larger town hall meetings in unused Brazilian World Cup arenas. But there is another venue, one that supports structures and processes across asynchronous time and space. It is called the Internet. We need to spend less time chasing funding for limited voice at time constrained events, and more time building stakeholder breadth and depth in these asynchronous spaces of the Internet., and effectively linking those efforts to policy making at all levels.

Sam L.

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran@xxxxxxxx   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852