ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc]

[npoc] NPOC's Chair Report at Prague Meeting

  • To: "npoc@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc@xxxxxxxxx>, "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc] NPOC's Chair Report at Prague Meeting
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:18:15 -0400

*Dear NPOC Colleagues,*
*
*I had a short speaking slot at the GNSO Public Council Meeting and
reported on *ACTIVITIES OF NPOC post San Jose, March to June 2012. Below
you will find the text of my report:

"For GNSO Public Council Meeting - 6 minutes

NPOC stands for Notforprofit Operational Concerns.

Our vision is of a world without digital divide; the mission, together with
our sister Constituency NCUC, is to facilitate and augment the
participation of civil society in DNS Policy Development and Implementation.

My approach today is to report how we tried to walk the talk and give you
the executive summary of our activities since San Jose:

1. Elections were held in March and here are the results:Vice-Chair, Lori
Schulman; Secretary, Amber Sterling, Membership, Klaus Stoll ; Policy, Judy
Branzelle; Communications and Acting Treasurer, Eduardo Monge;
2. Membership numbers stand at a total of 48:
25(current)+12(pending)+3(under review by Ombusdman)+3(new since San José)+
5(new at Prague) = 48 - 80% of new or pending membership applications are
from developing countries;
3. Partnership with the Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation - it is,
like ICANN, a multi-stakeholder ran notforprofit; will multiply many times
the outreach which NPOC would achieve on its own. Two initiatives have
emerged from that partnership:
4.NPOC/GKPF event and booth at WSIS 2012 Geneva;
5. Publication entitled "NGOs and Internet Governance" under preparation in
partnership with the Journal of Community Informatics; Dr Mary Wong and
Avri Doria, who are in this room, have kindly accepted to serve on the
editorial board;
6. NPOC's Africa outreach in collaboration with support fromAfrica's
Manager, Regional Relations, using Afrinic.net; The call was posted in 4
languages for optimal reach: English, French, Arabic and Portuguese;
7. Participation of 5 NPOC Members in Prague (US, Gambia, Switzerland,
Trinidad & Tobago, Canada);
8. Preparation of the NPOC proposed program for FY2013 and subsequent
approval in Prague of a partialICANN budget support;
9. Focus of program is global outreach: inter alia, recruitment, workshops
at ICTs conferences;
10. Transparency of NPOC's finances: Statement of revenues and expenses to
15 June 2012 on npoc.org;
11. The prestigious Asturias Prize, has been awarded to an NPOC Member:
Ithe International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies;
12. Workshop yesterday on "eFundraising and NGOs" with speakers from the
Business Constituency  and the Intellectual Property Constituency. Big
thanks to Angie Graves of The Proven Method, an IT staffing and consulting
firm based in Atlanta, Georgia and Kiran Malancharuvil of Silverberg,
Goldman & Bikoff, Attorneys at Law based in Washington, DC."

Apologies about late reporting, but I just returned from family vacations.

If you have any comments, suggestions or questions, please do not hesitate
to contact me or Colleagues on The NPOC's Executive Committee.

Best regards,

Alain BERRANGER

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA