ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Re: [ga] ICANN to hire economic consultants to study competition issues

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN to hire economic consultants to study competition issues
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:05:46 -0400

Exactly right. A consulting firm's report or a study or survey or poll will
have results based on the parameters set by those funding it. If I want to
prove cigarette smoking is not bad for you, I can pay for a study and make
sure the study supports my opinion.

The researchers always know which side their bread is buttered on. If their
results don't please the funding source, there is no more funding for future
studies. Job security is the primary function for much research. A
university would have been a better choice than a pro firm, but still the
results can be skewed.

I know this is pessimistic before the study is even completed and I can be
proven wrong with this one. Just been past experience with ICANN and with
"studies" that they can be assumed to be using this as a way to approve the
contracts with the study making them to have appeared to have performed due
diligence.

There have been several businesspeople here on this list, on the public
comments, and the web references pointed out by memebers of this list who
all already advised ICANN it would be anti-competitive. They already have
advice where they are supposed to get it from. There is a bottom-up
consensus no that indicates the contract needs to be rewritten on several
points and now ICANN's BoD has decided once again that bottom-up consensus
should be ignored since it does not agree with what they already want to do
and have decided to do.

This is status quo. If something different happens, I will be shocked and
awed.

Chris McElroy aka NameCritic
http://icann.thingsthatjustpissmeoff.com