ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] PDP Feb06 task force call 16 January 2007 - 1900 UTC

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] PDP Feb06 task force call 16 January 2007 - 1900 UTC
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:26:01 -0500

OK.  Then it was my miss.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend
due to previous commitments, but I am hoping some others from the
registry constituency will be able to join.

Below are some initial thoughts for discussion purposes on TOR 5.  These
are my own personal thoughts and do not necessarily reflect the views of
NeuStar and/or the gTLD Registries Constituency (except where so
identified).

        1.  As stated by the gTLD registry constituencies, in order to
evaluate any policy recommendations, the term "registry data" needs to
be defined.

        2.  In addition, the group needs to recognize that there are
different types of registry data, some of which is Personal Data, some
of which is completely unrelated to Personal Data.  To the extent that
such information is Personal Data (as defined in the existing contracts
or by applicable national law), such data may already be properly dealt
with in the WHOIS policies, the existing contracts, or in many instances
by applicable law.

        3.  Where such data is not Personal Data, but relates to other
types of data collected by registries, such data needs to be defined.
Perhaps the task force should send a formal request to the registries
asking for the type of data it collects.

        4.  Work must also be done to establish what rights, either by
contract, law or otherwise, that parties other than registries, have in
the non-Personal data.  The reason I state this is that there has been a
claim by some that individuals/businesses/entities, etc. have some sort
of privacy or other right in their "non-personal" data (i.e., traffic
data).  I personally have never seen such laws or regulations, but I
would be happy for someone to show me the basis for those claims.  In
the event that the Task Force is even thinking about limiting the use of
any non-personal data, there needs to be some basis in law, contract,
etc. for such limitation.  Please also recognize that any limitations
placed on such data by "Consensus Policy" must also be consistent with
the GNSO's mandate and the existing contracts.

        5.  Finally, the group needs to recognize that registries often
use registry data for security purposes (security for its own TLD and
security for the Internet as a whole).  Registries may or may not be
able to disclose how such information is being used, but care must be
taken as to not restrict a registry's right to use registry data for
such purposes.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  & Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.