ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] a proposed recommendations for ToR 5

  • To: "'Marilyn Cade'" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "'PDPfeb06'" <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] a proposed recommendations for ToR 5
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:39:47 -0500

>From Marilyn Cade

I have provided a redraft of Avri's recommendations, and attached it as
marked up text.  My marked up text is easy to walk through on the call.

I am expecting the staff to summarize the comments made previously in both
constituency statements and in the last working session that identify the
'issues and concerns'. Given that, the BC hasn't spent a lot of time
redeveloping our previous statements, however, it is useful to just
mesmerize what was stated earlier, and was restated on the last working
call.

The short version of the BC's concerns, again, for the record:

The BC has concerns about the uses of traffic data; and potentially registry
data. If there is data being gathered that is needed to inform not only the
registry but also up stream providers, such as backbone providers and ISPs,
related to network security implications, the BC reps believe that an
effective approach to providing that data in a proper manner needs to be
included as a requirement.

Secondly, if there is traffic being gathered about null returns on non
registered names, the BC reps are concerned about the potential for use and
misuse of that information. Registries are not allowed to be in the business
of selling or marketing individual domain names. The information about null
returns about a particular string could be easily misused, or could lead to
further problems where there is encouragement of the registration of names
that are merely 'traffic sites'.

Overall, it is highly likely that the provision by the registries of fact
based information will dispel many questions and concerns.
Finally, it is worth noting that the future will possibly hold many new
registries. With the larger number of registries, there may be opportunities
for misuse of traffic data, if there are no guidelines, some of which could
even be merely accidental.

TERM OF REFERENCE 5

Uses of registry data

> 5a Examine whether or not there should be a policy regarding the
> use of registry data for purposes other than for which it was
> collected, and if so, what the elements of that policy should be.

Proposed Recommendation:

a. There is no clear need for a new consensus policy on the use of registry
data, including traffic data, for purposes other then which is was
collected.

A alt. There is a need for a new consensus policy for the use of registry
data, including traffic data, for purposes other than that for which is was
collected. Such policy should include the requirement of a clear and
conspicuous notice about the collection of data and the kinds of uses made
of such data.

b. There is a need for a properly targeted study by an independent third
party on the data collected and the uses to which it is put. The study
should provide appropriate safeguards to protect any data provided by
registries for the purposes of the study, and the confidentiality of which
registry provides which data. The findings of the study should be published
in an appropriately transparent manner.

c. It is recommended that a "best practices" document be developed ,
describing the current practices of the collection of data, what the data is
used for, e.g. operating the registry; preparing marketing materials to
promote registration of domain names; gathering of 'null' returns, ensuring
the integrity of the Registry, or the DNS, etc. as example broad categories,
and published as a
guideline for Registry data collection and use.

> 5b. Determine whether any policy is necessary to ensure non-
> discriminatory access to registry data that is made available to
> third parties.

5b) a. After examining the  results of the independent
study and public discussions recommended in 5a (b), the GNSO council
should request an Issues Report and examine its findings regarding the
creation of a PDP that would include policy
recommendations for new, as well as for existing Registry agreements related
to registry/traffic data collection, uses, and third party access.
5b)  b.  Registry/traffic data may be linked to the development of third
party services that can be provided by a number of parties. If this is the
determination of the study referenced in 5a(b) above, there should be a
policy to ensure non discriminatory access.