ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[principles-comments]

[no subject]

  • To: <principles-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: "Bernard Turcotte" <bernard.turcotte@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:19:23 -0400

Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) â

Submission to ICANN regarding its consultation on the Development of
Transparency and Accountability Management Operating Principles

October 24th, 2006

CIRA supports ICANN's attempts to engage the community in defining
accountability and transparency. Such definitions, if properly developed, will
help ICANN to reâestablish trust with its stakeholders and to meet the
conditions set out in the recent Joint Project Agreement between the U.S.
Department of Commerce and ICANN.

CIRA is concerned however, about the short time period in which comments are
sought.  The notice seeking input was posted on October 16th and the close of
submissions is scheduled approximately two weeks later on October 31st.

This is clearly too short a time for many stakeholders to provide the
meaningful input that ICANN requires.

We respectfully request that the deadline be extended to December 31st, 2006.
An extension of the time for submissions would not prejudice ICANN in any way
and would allow many stakeholders to participate in this important process.

Further, we request that ICANN formally clarify the details of its process for
the development of these principles. This would allow the ICANN community to
understand and follow how its inputs will be processed and what other inputs
will be sought and considered. For example, will ICANN retain (or has it
already retained) expert assistance in determining a set of best practices for
transparency, accountability and fair processes?

We refer you to our letter dated June 15, 2006. We still believe that ICANN and
its stakeholder community would be best served if ICANN engaged a
non-governmental, independent consultant to conduct a public review of ICANN's
transparency, accountability and the fairness of its processes and to provide a
road-map for ICANN's reform.

Yours truly,

Bernard Turcotte

President and CEO