ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[privacy-proxy-study]

Privacy and Proxy Service

  • To: <privacy-proxy-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Privacy and Proxy Service
  • From: "Naavi9" <naavi9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:18:36 +0530

Dear Sir

I express a concern that the proposed proxy domain name service with privacy
protection would be used mostly by anti social elements to delay and prevent
detection of ownership of malicious sites. Law enforcement would be prevented
from taking action. Affected persons would not be able to bring the malicious
site owners to justice in case the privacy and proxy registrars don't cooperate.
ICANN does not have a proper mechanism to stop erring registrars to hide behind
privacy arguments and frustrate law enforcement.
Genuine owners have little problem in their names and addresses being listed in
a public data base.
I would recommend that ICANN drops this proposal.

Naavi
Na.Vijayashankar
Founder: www.naavi.org
Chairman: Digital Society Foundation