ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[proposed-protection-mechanisms]

Request by the Registries Stakeholder Group

  • To: proposed-protection-mechanisms@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Request by the Registries Stakeholder Group
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:52:06 -0600

The following is a request submitted by the Registries Stakeholder Group to ICANN staff in this proceeding: At its meeting today [Wednesday 11 Nov.], the Registries Stakeholder Group (RySG) asked me to write to you to request an extension of time for the filing of comments in the proceeding: Proposed Rights Protection Mechanisms in New gTLDs (the RPM proceeding). As you know, the Board of ICANN has requested the "GNSO's view on whether certain rights protection mechanisms for second level strings recommended by the staff based on public input are consistent with the GNSO's proposed policy on the introduction of new gTLDs and are the appropriate and effective option for achieving the GNSO's stated principles and objectives."
The Board has set a deadline of 14 December for a response to this letter.
The GNSO Council has established a Special Trademark Issues team to prepare a response. In view of the importance of the GNSO proceeding, it does not appear to be an efficient use of our time and resources to file comments in the pending RPM proceeding by the established deadline, 22 November 2009. We request that the deadline be extended to a date at some reasonable time after 14 December (or such later date when the GNSO responds to the Board), so that meaningful comments may be filed in the RPM proceeding.
We would appreciate your consideration of this request.

David W. Maher
Chair, Registries Stakeholder Group
Senior Vice President - Law & Policy
.ORG, The Public Interest Registry
1775 Wiehle Ave, #200
Reston, VA 20190  USA
(v) +1-312-876-8055
(f)  +1-312-876-7934
http://www.pir.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and deleting this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.