ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[raa-consultation]

Dealing with IDN gTLD Registration Issues

  • To: raa-consultation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Dealing with IDN gTLD Registration Issues
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 05:36:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dealing with IDN gTLD Registration Issues

Issue:

While English-speaking registrants enjoy certain
protections in the DNS ASCII world, such as those
protections that derive from being able to understand
communications in one's own native language, there are
no such protections afforded by contract to those who
require registration services in languages other than
English.

Background:

RAA 5.13 Language. All notices, designations, and
specifications made under this Agreement shall be in
the English language.

Statement of Problem:

If my native language is Chinese, then I would expect
to see a Terms of Service Agreement in Chinese, as
well as renewal notices, WHOIS accuracy reminders, the
UDRP, FAQs, and the registration interface in Chinese,
along with a copy of the RAA in Chinese, customer
service in Chinese, transfer forms in Chinese, etc.

We know that certain registrars that participated in
the earlier "multilingual testbed" operated by
VeriSign Global Registry Services rolled out services
at the second level with little regard for proper
customer support for the languages being serviced.  As
we move into the IDN gTLD world, we should not
tolerate anything less than full support for the
languages that will be introduced.

Potential Outcomes:

Clause 4.2 Topics for New and Revised Specifications
and Policies will be amended as follows:
New and revised specifications and policies may be
established on the following topics:
4.2.(next number):  IDN gTLD registrations

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.