ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[raa-consultation]

unethical registrar expoitation of the domain dropping system.

  • To: <raa-consultation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: unethical registrar expoitation of the domain dropping system.
  • From: Chris Thomas <chrisgingethomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:36:21 +0000

I wish to mirror Patrick Quinn's statement that the practice of registrars
'skimming' names from names which are dropping and sent to auction is
completely unethical and a breach of icann regulations. I also wish to see
icann's policy amended to severely punish registrars exploiting the system to
further their own portfolios.

More details:-

I respectfully request that ICANN fulfill your obligation of Section 2.3.2 of
the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA ) to:2.3.2 not unreasonably restrain
competition and, to the extent feasible, promote and encourage robust
competition;...by clarifying the language of Section 3.7.9 to EXPLICITLY FORBID
the unethical and unfair practice of Warehousing and Speculation by
Registrars.Currently, at least one Registrar, Tucows Inc., is by the admission
(boast?) of their President/CEO Elliot Noss, adding to their "portfolio" 6000
to 8000 expired domain names per month, which at this writing would be
somewhere in the neighborhood of 168,000 to 224,000 domain names, since they
adopted this policy.He says: "We believe we are one of the leading portfolios
in the world. Please remember we pick up 6000 to 8000 more names each month
from expiring domains. We made the decision two years ago to acquire expiring
names that we believe add value."The entire quote from a February 7th, 2008
Investor conference call, is available
below:http://seekingalpha.com/article/63693-tucows-inc-q4-2007-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=-1
Section 3.7.9 as it currently reads is clearly meant to outlaw this practice,
but apparently Tucows chooses not to read it that way, therefore ICANN must add
more explicit language to the RAA and enforce the current provisions of 3.7.9
and 3.7.5. Any and all names that have expired and been re-registered by Tucows
Inc. or any other Registrar without being released as specified under section
3.7.5 must also be released to the available pool.Section 3.7.5 of the current
RAA clearly states that expired names be cancelled and released to the pool of
available names. See below for current ICANN policy on
deletions:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.icann.org/registrars/eddp.htmExpired
 Domain Deletion PolicyPosted: 21 September 2004
Beginning on 21 December 2004, Section 3.7.5 [of the RAA] will be replaced with
the following language:3.7.5 At the conclusion of the registration period,
failure by or on behalf of the Registered Name Holder to consent that the
registration be renewed within the time specified in a second notice or
reminder shall, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, result in
cancellation of the registration by the end of the auto-renew grace period
(although Registrar may choose to cancel the name earlier).3.7.5.1 Extenuating
circumstances are defined as: UDRP action, valid court order, failure of a
Registrar's renewal process (which does not include failure of a registrant to
respond), the domain name is used by a nameserver that provides DNS service to
third-parties (additional time may be required to migrate the records managed
by the nameserver), the registrant is subject to bankruptcy proceedings,
payment dispute (where a registrant claims to have paid for a renewal, or a
discrepancy in the amount paid), billing dispute (where a registrant disputes
the amount on a bill), domain name subject to litigation in a court of
competent jurisdiction, or other circumstance as approved specifically by
ICANN.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This
 Expired Domain Deletion Policy was amended in 2004 to further clarify the
"extenuating circumstances" in which the name will not be cancelled. None of
those extenuating circumstances are related to the Registrar wishing to "add to
their portfolio."This is an egregious breach of the Registrar role which is to
manage the domain names. The Registrar is duly compensated through registration
fees. They do not own the domain names any more than any Registrant owns
them.The practice of siphoning off the most desirable names instead of
releasing them to the available pool or, at the least, public auction, puts the
Registrar at a ridiculously unfair advantage, and makes a mockery of the role
of Registrar as stewards of the resource. Why on earth should a Registrar, who
is chartered with administrating a public resource, be given a completely
unfair advantage in obtaining that very resource for itself with no competition
whatsoever???Clearly that is the agenda of Tucows Inc. and  possibly other
Registrars.
For further evidence see this comment by Tucows Domain Portfolio General
Manager, Bill Sweetman:Q. Does being a registrar give you the right to keep
domains that its customers fail to renew?A. Yes.Full context here:
http://namebio.com/NameBioBlog/2008/04/17/tucows-admits-to-warehousing-domains/
Please rectify this situation without further delay by changing the language of
Section 3.7.9 to this:3.7.9 Registrar shall be prohibited from warehousing or
speculation in domain names. Expired domain names will be released to the
available pool as specified in 3.7.5

Best Regards

Chris Thomas
Get Messenger on your mobile, text MSN to 63463 now!
http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/messenger.aspx