ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[registry-services-report]

Comments from Registry Constituency

  • To: <registry-services-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments from Registry Constituency
  • From: "Philip Colebrook" <pcolebrook@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:22:31 +0100

The following statement was presented by me during the GNSO Council call on 28
July 2005 prior to the Council's vote on this matter. The registry constituency
would like these comments to be noted by the Board when considering the final
report.

"The registry constituency is comprised of a diverse range of registry
operators, both sponsored and unsponsored, located in differing jurisdictions
and with a variety of business models. The registries all require a certain
flexibility to be able to work effectively with the local environment that they
operate in, and we are encouraged by developments at the GNSO council and
elsewhere that consider such matters. Our impending vote in favor of this
motion is not intended in any way to constrain individual registries from
receiving full consideration of circumstances particular to them when
establishing the contractual basis for their operation. Underpinning this,
however, is the need for registries to be given parity, to be treated equitably
and to have the opportunity to operate on a level playing field. We note that
this principle is expressed in many registry contracts, and believe that is of
great importance when formulating policy."

Thank you,

Philip Colebrook
GNSO Council Registry Constituency Representative