ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Issue #2: Price increase

  • To: revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Issue #2: Price increase
  • From: "Marcus Faure, CORE Council of Registrars" <marcus.faure@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:05:10 +0100 (CET)

The revision summary comments on the VGRS price increase that the
revised version limits VGRS ability to increase prices.

This is a cosmetic change. The Vancouver discussion clearly showed
that the ICANN community does not see any need for a price increase in
.com. Verisign itself has demonstrated that it can run the much smaller
.net registry for just 3 USD per domain. We should be discussing a
price DECREASE of 50% rather than an increase.

The price would go down even further if the agreement would be
rebid. We have heard serious offers of a below-3-USD pricing on many
meetings from several parties. On behalf of CORE++ I can confirm that
CORE++ would propose such an offer for .com. I am sure that CORE++
will not be the only one.

Yours,
Marcus Faure
CORE Council of Registrars