ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Time to move on gang

  • To: <revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Time to move on gang
  • From: "Andrew Mack" <mack_andrew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:45:19 -0500

To the ICANN Board,

I attended the last meeting in Vancouver, and I heard a lot of
discussion of the settlement.  Now there is a revised, compromise
settlement which seems to have included many of the concerns expressed
in Vancouver.  I say its time to accept this and move on.

This process has been going on for a long time.  As we were told over
and over in Vancouver, ICANN has limited staff and budget resources to
address a wide agenda.  Continuing to focus so much time and energy on
the settlement keeps ICANN from addressing real issues faced by most
users of the Internet.  It takes up time that should be spent thinking
about how to build access and capacity and address other issues in
developing markets where the next wave of growth is going to come from.
Finally, there's not even any guarantee that continuing to re-hash this
issue will get us to a settlement that anyone likes better!

Let's not forget ourselves here -- ICANN exists for everyone and needs
to address everyone's needs.  That includes a lot of people who don't
have any vested interest in this one topic.  This issue has had its
(many) days.  There's other work to do.

Andrew Mack