ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac051-draft-roadmap]

comments

  • To: sac051-draft-roadmap@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comments
  • From: Bob Bruen <bruen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:51:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am concerned about section 3.1.4 Voluntary Adoption through Promotion and Incentives

These two statements show a low level of understanding of the current situation:

1) The users of Whois services get access to a free service, and it is
possible to run high volume queries in various ways to mine the data.

2) There is a fee to get bulk access to Registration Data on a per
registrar basis - but it is rarely used these days due to (1) above.

First, users do get free access, but almost all of the registrars warn against using high volume, automated queries. Secondly, if you do run these queries, you will be switched to the thin record, instead of getting the thick record. GoDaddy forces you to go to a web page to prevent high volume queries.

The registrars generally go out of their way to make it difficult to obtain WI data, happily spending resources they say they can't afford.

KnujOn published a study on bulk access to whois data last year. There are several reasons why people do not use it. The first is that most registrars did not know what it was when I asked them about it. Many refused to even provide a process, such as filling out a form to request it.

Once word got around that I was doing this, someone at ICANN told them to simply charge $10,000 dollars, most did just that.

Only ARIN actually provided their bulk whois data out of all the registrars.

The registrars have no incentive to provide whois data because they are well aware they at least half of the records are inaccurate and a large percentage of the records are for criminal activity. And yes, I have the data.

If this lack of understanding is going to be the basis for future decisions, I fear the situation will continue to get worse.

         Robert Bruen

--
Dr. Robert Bruen
http://coldrain.net