ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac053-dotless-domains]

Support for SSAC 53 - Dotless Domains Are A Bad Idea

  • To: "sac053-dotless-domains@xxxxxxxxx" <sac053-dotless-domains@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Support for SSAC 53 - Dotless Domains Are A Bad Idea
  • From: "\"Michele Neylon :: Blacknight\"" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:08:05 +0000

The SSAC report on Dotless Domains (SSAC 53) is well thought out and quite
comprehensive and the SSAC members have done an admirable job.

I would agree strongly with their conclusions.

While I welcome innovation and the other possibilities that new TLDs offer I
cannot see any advantage to internet users in the introduction of "dotless"
domains. All I can see is confusion, which will benefit nobody.

The SSAC report covers several of the key technical issues.

As hosting provider I am very conscious of the importance people place on their
email - in many cases more than their websites.  Dotless domains would cause a
lot of headaches, as they wouldn't work with SMTP etc., at present, and form
validation would be further complicated with the removal of such a clear
"label".

In conclusion, dotless domains would not be a good idea, so they should not be
allowed.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon