ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac053-dotless-domains]

known uses for A and MX records at ccTLDs

  • To: sac053-dotless-domains@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: known uses for A and MX records at ccTLDs
  • From: Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:51:10 +0200

UA ccTLD has MX records, thus allowing addresses like Postmaster@UA to
function.  In my experience, the support for those
is inadequate (mail user agents reject them, web mail clients do not allow
them, and some corporate mail systems do not support them.)

I noticed that UZ ccTLD has their main web site at http://UZ. (also reachable
as cctld.UZ).  Many browsers auto-complete short names, thus
forcing user to type http:// protocol prefix and trailing slash or trailing dot
to use "dot less" TLD name in URL.

Another comment by Franck Martin mentioned that WS domain has MX record "for
many years."

I support suggestion from SSAC record to discourage A, AAAA, and MX records at
TLD level.  Contractual prohibition sounds like good idea.

Apart from SOA, NS and DNSSEC-supporting records (RRSIG, DNSKEY, NSEC or NSEC3)
use of other records (for example, LOC)
does not seem to be practical either for those TLDs which are public resources.
 There may be use case for NAPTR records though.

-- Dmitry Kohmanyuk, .UA ccTLD