ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[sac053-dotless-domains]

Agree to SSAC Report on Dotless Domains

  • To: <sac053-dotless-domains@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Agree to SSAC Report on Dotless Domains
  • From: <Marcus.Jaeger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:42:01 +0000

G'day all,

as much as I like and hate the idea of dotless domains, I agree with the
conclusion from the SSAC, for the fact that URL's like http://IamLost/
are used far to much in business environments and is in most cases hard coded
on proxies, webwashers, etc. and that causes issues already internally.
You will never know what a business is doing and if they have a URL like
http://berlin/ for some internal information they will not really see the
internet version of the new gTLD "http://berlin/";

I am already confronted with issues like that on a daily basis and have to
think more often around corners, DNS is my address book, what I do not see in
there is not available. I do not see what is happening on the proxies and other
web browser catching mechanism in the businesses I deal with.

Simply said, dotless domains should not be allowed.

This is my personal opinion based on my daily business experience.

cheers,

Marcus Jaeger
Network Engineer
Brand and Domain Management